Timeline: 1870-1879

   THE EARLY YEARS of the 1870s proved to be some of the most interesting and industrious for the residents of Reach and Scugog Townships, and the village of Port Perry.
   In June 1871 the County of Ontario passed a by-law to incorporate the village of Port Perry, separating it from Reach Township. Over the next year or so, the two corporations battled over the appropriate share of tax and debt, becoming for some time, bitter rivals for growth and commerce.
   Prince Albert and Manchester, having been the two major commercial centres in Reach Township for many years, found themselves fighting to keep the enormous grain and commercial business in their communities, as Port Perry began to grow and prosper.
   With the arrival of the first train along the Port Whitby and Port Perry route later in 1871, it wasn't long before businessmen realized if they hoped to survive, they would have to move to this new, thriving community situated on the shores of Scugog Lake.
   Joseph Bigelow was elected the first Reeve of Port Perry in January 1872, and over the next few years, under his ambitious leadership, the town underwent one of the largest building booms in its history.
   New factories, stores and homes began to spring up over the next few years, one of the largest of these being Geo. Currie's grain elevator at the lakefront near the railway.
   Public buildings and projects also flourished. Under Bigelow's leadership the village improved roads, built a new Town Hall, and a magnificent high school to educate their children. The 1870s were indeed, exciting and prosperous times for the fledgling village of Port Perry.

   January 1870
   Voters went to the polls in the public hall, Prince Albert, electing James Graham, Reach Twp. Reeve, Messrs, Ewers and Major, Deputy Reeves and Messrs. Holman and Graham Councillors.
   Scugog Twp. elected W.S. Sexton, Reeve, and Messrs. Hunter, Bateman, Neisbitt and Williams, Councillors.
   Tenders were let for building a parsonage in connection with the Primitive Methodist Church, Manchester.
   Loyal Orange District of Reach held their annual meeting in Butson's Hall, Greenbank, electing Bro. Thos. Martin, D.M. and Bro. J. Stovin, D.D.M.
   James Graham elected President of the Reach and Scugog Agricultural Society at a meeting of directors at Plank's Hotel, Manchester. Mr. S. Netherton, Vice-President, W. Scott, Treasurer, J. Christie, Secretary.
   John Stonehouse was appointed Assessor for the Twp. of Reach for 1870 at a salary of $120, and Mr. E. Walker, the Liquor Licence Inspector.
   A report on the schools of Reach shows a total of 19 schools in operation with a total of 800 students attending classes.
   Scugog Reeve W.S. Sexton was elected Warden of Ontario County on the first ballot. An Oyster supper was given in his honour at the Royal Hotel, Whitby, with some 60 gentlemen present.
   February 1870
   County Council gets into debate about who should pay for upkeep of the Scugog Bridge. A bylaw passed in 1864 granted leave to draw on County funds to the value of $150 a year for repairs to the bridge. Some members of the County council feel that the maintenance should be paid for by Reach and Scugog Townships.
   The villages of Prince Albert and Manchester were kept busy with a rush of sleighs hauling grain to local buyers. Currie & Ross purchased from 3,000 to 5,000 bushels per day.
   The Ontario Presbytery of the Canada Presbyterian Church met at the Presbyterian Church, Prince Albert, Moderator Rev. Mr. Smith in the chair.
   A grand Variety Concert with a tenorist from London, England, performed at the Public Hall, Prince Albert.
   Vast numbers of people braved the piercing cold to witness the horse races on the ice of Lake Scugog, Feb. 10th and 11th.
   The report of the inspector for Taverns and Shops recommended that 16 shops now had the necessary accommodations and should receive licenses.
   March 1870
   The inhabitants of Manchester are putting fourth a laudable effort to have the route of the P.W. & P.P. Railway changed as to bring the line between Manchester and Prince Albert, with a station located between the villages.
   Another first class snowstorm, which commenced Saturday night and continued all day Sunday, closed all churches on Sunday and Monday was almost a universal holiday.
   April 1870
   A route through the valley of the Beaver River and Lake Scugog is being suggested as one of the most preferred routes for the proposed Huron and Ontario Ship Canal. Mr. Thompson, the member for North Ontario said the advantages of this Lake Simcoe and Lake Scugog route should not be overlooked.
   The Prince Albert Cricket Club held their annual meeting at Scott's Hotel, Prince Albert, and elected a new executive. President W.M. Cochrane, Vice President W. Beattie, Sec. J.T. Slater and Treas., W.M. Willcox.
   The carriage and workshops of Mrs. Mortson, Epsom, was completely destroyed by fire.
   There were over 70 horses exhibited at the Reach and Scugog Agricultural Society Spring Fair held at Prince Albert fairground.
   The melting of vast accumulations of snow throughout the area caused many roads and bridges to be damaged due to destructive spring floods. In some places public roads were flooded to a depth of over four feet, and several bridges have been washed away.
   A petition bearing the names of 116 ratepayers requested the Township of Reach have a change in the route of the PW & PP Railway. To have it cross the gravel road north of the 4th conc. and to erect a good station house and freight shed at said crossing.
   May 1870
   Manchester still presses forward. Mr. Brown, of Brown & Christian, is erecting a residence north of the village of gothic style; Mr. A. Gordon is erecting a large and commodious store in the centre of the village on the Manchester road allowance. The building is 31'x48', two storeys high with 18 foot posts; and the parsonage in connection with the Primitive Methodist Church is being erected west of the village.
   The steamboat Ontario and the Anglo-Saxon with her large scow attached picked up 300 from the dock for an excursion and went steaming o'er the lake, entertained by the Port Perry Brass Band.
   June 1870
   A movement being made by the inhabitants of Williamsburg for the erection of sidewalks. Mr. Neisbitt, of this village, has just completed a capital new carriage shop on the west side of Scugog St. and north of Tooley's Hotel, for carriage building and blacksmithing.
   The extensive planing and fanning mill factory of Mr. Cossatt of Port Perry was destroyed by fire. Some of the valuable machinery and tools were saved, but the loss is over $2000. The lack of anything more effective than a bucket to extinguish the fire is not in keeping the energy and enterprise of that prosperous village.
   The excellent Weir's Steam Saw Mill, on the 7th conc. of Reach was completely destroyed by fire, with losses totalling $1000.
   A recommendation was brought forward at County Council to abandon the bridge over the Scugog (Scugog Bridge). Some members fought hard to make the County stick to their bargain in maintaining the bridge, but a large majority of them were able to break the contract by repealing the by-law by a vote of 16 to 6 nays.
   Two men, Wm Jamieson and Richard O'Boyle, taking part in the Raglan Sunday School excursion on the Anglo-Saxon, from Port Perry to Lindsay fell overboard during the trip and drowned.
   July 1870
   A large influx of people came into Prince Albert as the community celebrated Dominion Day in right royal style, with horse races, games, banquet in the Town Hall and musical entertainment and speeches held in the Prince Albert Drill Shed, with guest speaker Dr. McBrien.
   In Reach Twp., an average of 990 children attended classes every school day during the last half of the year. Scugog Twp. shows a daily average attendance of 111 students per day during the same time period.
   Uxbridge were the winners of a cricket match with Prince Albert, outscoring them 112 to 111.
   August 1870
   Classes for the Grammar and Common Schools of the United Section No. 8, Port Perry, scheduled to begin at 9 o'clock a.m., Monday next, 8th inst.
   At Borelia, Catherine Crandell, 71, beloved wife of Mr. Reuben Crandell died, Reach Township's first white settler. In 1821 she moved with her husband and first child into the Township of Reach, where she remained 'till her decease.
   Reach Twp. council authorized the Reeve to take the necessary steps of quashing the by-law passed by the County, repealing the by-law by which the County Council assumed the Scugog Bridge as a County work, thus seeking to throw the responsibility upon Reach and Scugog of keeping the bridge in repair.
   The enterprising villagers of Port Perry have procured an excellent fire engine for the use of that village. A fire engine is indispensible to a village which is increasing and filling up as Port Perry is doing.
   Mr. Adam Gordon opened his new and commodious premises in Manchester.
   September 1870
   The Port Perry Fire Company made their debut to a fire on the property of Mr. R. Boynton. It was quite a new feature in our fire fights, but by the time they arrived the fire had destroyed the barn.
   A document submitted to Reach Twp. Council by the Hon. M.C. Cameron, regarding the Scugog Bridge, suggested that the County repealing by-law does not need to be quashed, it is so flagrantly illegal that it falls to pieces by its own weight. The clerk was instructed to inform the County Council that Reach expects the Scugog Bridge to be kept in a state of repair.
   The sound of fire! fire! rang through this and neighboring communities as another conflagration took place at Mr. James Lazier's Factory a couple of miles north of Prince Albert. The wool kiln, implements and wagons were all consumed by the fire.
   October 1870
   William Stonehouse,19, son of Mr. John Stonehouse, was killed while hauling sand for the erection of Primitive Methodist Church in School Section No. 4, Reach. The young man slipped and fell under the wheels of the wagon.
   The son of Mr. Straight Houck of Prince Albert, was killed in a railway accident in Savanna, Illinois, after being run over by a railway car.
   November 1870
   Work on the Port Whitby and Port Perry Railway is progressing. The grading nears completion and will soon be ready to begin laying the nearly 40,000 ties; the iron rail for the lines has been purchased in England and is ready for shipment.
   The anniversary of the Gun Powder Plot was celebrated at Thompson's Hotel, Port Perry, under the auspices of L.O.L. No. 223. About 80 sat down to supper, with Mr.. Wm Scott of the Victoria Hotel, Prince Albert, placed at the head of the table.
   David Hooey, Esq., Deputy Reeve of Cartwright, a highly esteemed member of the business community, died instantly after being kicked by a colt.
   The Tax Collector notifies residents he will be at Thompson's Hotel, Manchester, on Monday and Scott's Hotel, Prince Albert, Tuesday, for the purpose of collecting taxes.
   December 1870
   A great rally of ratepayers from various parts of the township attended a meeting called by Reeve James Graham, at the Temperance Hall, Greenbank, in preparation for the coming municipal elections.
   Cartwright Twp. elected their candidates by acclamation. Reeve Robt. B. Spinks; Dept. Reeve W. Taylor; Councillors Parr, Goggin, Hyland and Taylor who takes the position of the deceased Mr. Hooey.
   The new Primitive Methodist Church in the east settlement, in Mr. Stone-house's neighborhood will be opened for Divine Service on New Years day.

Progress in
Reach Township
by James Baird,
Ontario Observer
December 29, 1870

   PRINCE ALBERT - The Village of Prince Albert has certainly not done a great deal in way of building during 1870, but even in this respect the closing year leaves us better than it found us.
   A fair share of prosperity has attended our businessmen, and it is a generally acknowledged fact that throughout the Dominion of Canada, there is no other village or town, we might almost say city, where better and cheaper commodities can be had or more satisfactory purchases made than in the Village of Prince Albert.
   The Boots and Shoes manufactured in the village are deservedly praised. Harness of Prince Albert manufacture is well spoken of. Our Tailors are men of much skill, the Combine and Undertaking business is well sustained by Mr. Park, while Mr. McCaw supplies everything wanted in the tinware line. As a Jeweller and Watchmaker, Mr. Diesfield stands in the front rank, while the extensive practice of our skilful physicians is the best test of their ability.
   For carpenters and joiners we have a good supply. Our hotel accommodation is hard to beat, whether we regard the table, the bar or the stable, or the general accommodation and comfort of the guests.

   MANCHESTER - The Village of Manchester has added several important buildings during the year. Mr. Gordon has erected one of the most convenient stores in the county, the building is not a costly one, but the location is well selected and everything necessary for a first-rate general store is provided.
   Mr. J.H. Brown of the firm of Brown & Christian has built a very handsome residence at the northern extremities of the village. A convenient parsonage for the Primitive Methodist Church has been erected. The amount of business done here is the best proof of the enterprise and energy of its businessmen. There is certainly not another market in the County where an equal amount of farm produce is bought, while it is decidedly the cattle market for Reach Twp.
   The regular monthly fairs held here are of much importance to the farmers, while a source of considerable profit to the village. Several manufacturers are well sustained, the Blacksmiths and the Carriage builder sustain themselves, while the Tailoring business is well represented at the establishment of Mr. Squire.
   The hotel accommodation here is excellent and well patronized.

   PORT PERRY - Port Perry has certainly much cause for rejoicing over her rapid progress during 1870, it is true she has not been reaping the harvest, but she has been preparing the ground she has been gathering within and around her the materials of future strength which will doubtless begin to develop itself more fully in the coming year.
   The energy and enterprise of its leading spirits combined with the happy location of this village have succeeded in bringing to the front and raising it to a position of importance which few villages occupy.
   The Port Perry of 1869 is not the Port Perry of today, it has effectually burst the bounds which then confined it and it is stretching out its arms to the west, north and south with a giant's grasp.
   Buildings are springing up in groups, all of them respectable and many of them handsome. This village has doubtless a bright career before her as a prosperous, thriving business centre.
   Of the other villages in the township, little progress has been made as far as additional buildings go. Greenbank has been doing something in this way, several tidy building have been put during the year; and as a whole the prosperity of the Township of Reach has been most encouraging, while the general health has been excellent.

   January 1871
   The residents of Reach Twp. elected Adam Gordon as Reeve and Messrs. N. Bates and Holman as Deputies. Messrs. Town and Weir were elected councillors. W.S. Sexton was re-elected to the Reeveship in Scugog Twp. with Wm. Bateman, Mr. Clegghorn, G. Savage and D. Jackson as councillors.
   George Wheler, Reeve of Uxbridge was elected Warden of Ontario County.
   Dr. Geo. W. Jones is accused in the columns of the Port Perry Standard of having run off and married young Annie Paxton, and carried her off to Imlay City, Michigan.
   Mr. Charles Marsh was re-elected president of the Agricultural Society.
   February 1871
   The annual meeting of the stockholders of the Port Whitby and Port Perry Railway met in Whitby, electing as directors, Messrs. Major, Lockhart, Reynolds, Holden, Rose, Dryden, Paxton, Bigelow and Chester Draper as president.
   The Scugog Bridge comes under heavy discussion at the winter session of Ontario County Council. Reach and Scugog Twps. are looking for the County to repeal a bylaw passed in June 1870, which reverted maintenance of the bridge to the township.
   The streets of Prince Albert and Manchester are literally blocked these days with the rush of grain coming in and empty sleighs going out. Prices for Spring hovered between $1.30 and $1.40 a bushel.
   Two days of horse racing on Lake Scugog took place.
   Aggregate attendance of all schools of Reach Twp. show that 787 children attended school every day.
   March 1871
   The carriage factory of Mr. Emaney was stuck by fire on the Sabbath evening. Flames burst through the roof of his stable, but were subdued by the energetic men who ran to his aid.
   Capt. P. Bigelow announces the steamer Anglo-Saxon is prepared to do all kinds of towing and freighting between Port Perry, Lindsay and Fenelon Falls.
   North Ontario Riding elected Charles Paxton as its representative to the Ontario Legislature, defeating Wright 308-150 votes.
   April 1871
   Joshua Wright offers for sale his boot and shoe establishment in the prosperous village of Port Perry, to devote his time to his Tannery.
   Agricultural Spring Shows were held in Williamsburg, April 27 and at Prince Albert on April 25, 1871.
   The first steamer passed through the new locks at Lindsay on April 20, with a large number of people watching. The work will form a most interesting and important link in the chain connecting Port Perry with the back waters.
   May 1871
   An examination for Public (formerly Common School) School teachers will take place in July. No female under 16 or male under 18 will be eligible for examination.
   The vigilantes of the Port Whitby and Port Perry Railway Company continue to try and get Reach Twp. to pay its last $10,000, but the township refused to pay until all the grading is completed.
   June 1871
   Reach council appropriated the sum of $110 for building a bridge on the Centre Road over the Nonquon. The Reeve and Mr. Holman were commissioned to see the work done.
   C.C. Kellett offers fruit trees, ornament trees, and shrubs for sale from his property in Port Perry.
   A large crowd of about 500 people attended the Reunion held at Port Perry in the new Freight House of the PW & PP Railway. The reunion was under the auspices of the Church of the Ascension.
   Reeve W.S. Sexton of Scugog Twp. introduced a by-law to incorporate the Village of Port Perry, which went through several readings and passed. (see opposite page).
   Sealed tenders were being received to erect a Brick Church in the village of Utica for the Wesleyan Methodists, to be completed by the first day of July, 1872.
   The first anniversary of the Cedar Creek Union Sunday School took place in a handsomely got up spot convenient to the School House.
   July 1871
   About 130 school children from Lindsay arrived at the wharf in Port Perry by steamer to enjoy a school picnic with the students of Reach Twp. and Port Perry schools.
   Uxbridge emerged victorious in a Cricket match between that town and the boys of Port Perry and Prince Albert.
   The streets of Port Perry were decorated with beautiful arches, banners and Union Jacks as the Orange Celebration took place on the 12th of July.
   August 1871
   Of 47 applicants to obtain teachers certificates, 15 failed the examination held in Whitby, with many teachers complaining of the difficult "papers".
   Howe's Great London Circus came to Prince Albert and was by far the finest ever witnessed in these parts. The thousands who witnessed the display expressed it surpassed their highest expectations.
   A new brick Post Office is in the course of erection in Port Perry.
   Mr. Joshua Dobson lost part of his leg in a serious farming accident, after his horses bolted, throwing him into the rakes and then being dragged by the team.
   The Port Perry Fire Brigade held an excursion from Port Perry to Washburn Island aboard the Anglo-Saxon. Proceeds of excurion for A. Bowers who lost his right hand in an accident at Paxton's Saw Mill recently.
   J.R. Youmans, Head Master of the Port Perry High School has returned from a pleasant European tour.
   Mr. Joshua Wright installed a steam engine into his tannery business in Prince Albert. It is a capital engine, the twenty horse power boiler is the first steam powered engine in the village.
   September 1871
   The Port Whitby & Port Perry Railway advertise for 200 men to work on the railway line. Mr. Major is persuing the work with much energy.
   Ontario Observer editor James Baird attended the formal opening of the Uxbridge extension of the Toronto and Nippising Railway.
   R. Nott of the Port Perry Standard writes to the Ontario Observer stating he had no hand in railway articles run in the Standard, explaining they were the works of Mr. Mundy alone.
   Captain Sinclair offers his Prince Albert home and business for sale, as he is leaving to locate in Lindsay.
   October 1871
   A huge auction sale is advertised to take place in Prince Albert and Port Perry selling 200 town and park lots situated on and adjacent to Union Avenue. (Nov. 21, 22)
   An imposing ceremony was performed for the laying of the foundation stone for the new brick Port Perry Methodist Episcopal Church on Tuesday, Oct. 10.
   James Squire moves his tailoring business from Manchester to rented space in the Ross Block, Port Perry.
   November 1871
   Work is progressing on the PP & PW Railway with men busy along the route preparing to lay the tracks.
   A train from Whitby made its way to the south end of Reach Twp. near the 2nd concession with dignitaries on board. They made their way to Mr. Paynes hotel in Prince Albert for a dinner before heading back down the line.
   Messrs. J.& D. Adams, money, land and insurance brokers have moved their place of business from Prince Albert to Port Perry.
   Mr. English came before Reach Council requesting the third and last $10,000 debenture for the PP & PW Railway, as the work had been completed.
   December 1871
   The newly incorporated village of Port Perry held its first nomination meeting in Ireland's Hall, Port Perry. Nominees to become the first Reeve of Port Perry were Joseph Bigelow, J.W. Allison and J. B. Campbell.
   In his election speech, Mr. Bigelow said should he be elected he will do his utmost to get the necessary assistance from County Council to erect a bridge between Cartwright and Scugog.
   By the end of 1871, businesses began to trickle out of Prince Albert and take up locations in Port Perry. Following is a list of businessmen still operating in Prince Albert at the end of 1871: Geo. Currie (General Merchant), Joshua Wright (Tannery), W. H. Park (Furniture), John Diesfeld (Prince Albert Jewelry Emporium), T.C. Forman (General Merchant), W. Trenbeth (Merchant, Tailor), W.M. Willcox (The Union Drug, Grocer and Liquor Store), Chas. Hiscocks (Bakery), J.M. Heard (Carriage & Wagon Shop), W.A. Tomlinson (Druggist), Ontario Carriage Factory (Carriage Shop), T. Courtice (Leather & Saddlery), Wightman's (Clothier),

   January 1872
   The new municipality of Port Perry elected Joseph Bigelow as its first Reeve and Messrs John Phillipe, Wm. Tate, Caleb Crandell and A.N. Sexton as the village's first councillors.
   The newly configured Reach Twp. elected Adam Gordon as Reeve and Messrs. Noah Bates, James Holman, Mead and Purdy as councillors.
   Scugog Twp. is represented by W. S. Sexton, Reeve.
   The municipality of Reach sets out on her New Year's career under generally altered circumstances having undergone a severe dismemberment, her boundaries curtailed, and her benefit of a large portion of her former wealth now within the new village of Port Perry. The cutting off of Port Perry takes about one sixth of the ratepayers, at least one third of the labor force.
   The right of way of the Union Avenue has been secured. Grading is to be proceeded with at once and a winter road is expected to be constructed forthwith.
   James Graham was elected president of the Reach and Scugog Agricultural Society at the Town Hall in Manchester.
   The members elected of the municipal council of the Corporation of the Village of Port Perry met at the Fireman's Hall, where H. Burnham declared Joseph Bigelow, Reeve. Duncan McKercher was appointed as the first clerk and H. Gordon as first treasurer of the village.
   The Oddfellows of Warriner Lodge, Port Perry, held a Grand Concert in the Prince Albert Public Hall.
   W.H. Gibbs of Whitby, was elected Warden of the County of Ontario
   February 1872
   The County appoints the Reeve of Pickering and Reeve Sexton of Scugog to look into the matter of the Scugog Bridge and report back.
   A trip to Whitby aboard the PP & PW Railway takes about one hour, making it possible to leave home in the morning to do business and return in the evening.
   The Port Perry Races took place on Lake Scugog with a $50 purse going to the winner.
   Mr. Paxton introduces a Bill to construct a branch of the PP & PW Railway from Port Perry to navigable water in the town of Lindsay, and further north to Fenelon Falls.
   A new school house at Saintfield is now completed. The building is 32x25 and the interior is decidedly the best school room in the township.
   The subject of building a town hall came up for discussion. Reeve Bigelow, and Councillors Tate, Phillipo and Sexton formed a committee to deal with the matter and then report back to council.
   March 1872
   The Village of Port Perry held its first Monthly Fair with a good showing of cattle and grain.
   The councils of Reach and Port Perry discuss a settlement between the two municipalities regarding the division of the railway debt.
   A committee of council was appointed to obtain plans and the probable cost of a suitable Town Hall and report to the next meeting.
   April 1872
   J. K. Gordon, brother of Reeve A. Gordon of Reach, has been appointed to fill the office of County Attorney, vacated by the death of S.H. Cochrane.
   May 1872
   Thieves broke into the smokehouse of Mr. Jewett, Port Perry and made of with close to 200 pounds of choice smoked ham.
   Sheep and goats were added to the animals prohibited to run at large on the streets of Reach Twp. Also prohibited are horses, cattle and swine.
   Reach Twp. was instructed to procure nine roadscrapers at a cost not to exceed $6.50 each, and get the old ones repaired.
   A resident complains about damage in the old Prince Albert burial ground from the feet of cattle and swine which are allowed to graze and root on the sacred ground.
   Celebrations took place in Port Perry for the Queen's Birthday. Throngs of people gathered, for the celebrations, with excursions leaving the dock loaded with people. Some 250 people boarded the train of ten open cars and a palace car, heading off to Whitby.
   June 1872
   Rev. A. McCann and Aaron Ross of Prince Albert left on a trip across the Atlantic to visit the dear homes of their childhood.
   Joseph Bigelow presented a petition from C. Paxton and others asking County Council for aid in constructing a bridge between the Townships of Scugog and Cartwright, urging the importance of the work. A committee consisting of Mr. Holman and the Reeves of Scugog and Port Perry was formed to confer with the Councils of Darlington and Cartwright regarding the bridge.
   The County authorized an expenditure to exceed $250 for repairs to the Scugog Bridge.
   July 1872
   The dedication of the new brick and stone Wesleyan Methodist Church at Utica took place on Sabbath, July 7th. The structure, 50'x32' stands beautifully elevated on one of the finest sites that could be selected. The crowd was so large that one half could not get into the church.
   A fire at Dr. Oakley's Druggery in Port Perry was quickly extinguished before it could do much damage.
   August 1872
   The Sunday School in connection with the Baptist Church, Port Perry, held a picnic in Mr. Crandell's woods, north of the school house.
   Port Perry council passes a by-law to debenture $10,000 for the use of organizing a fire department, purchasing a fire engine and building water tanks, and to purchase a site and build a Town Hall.
   On the evening after the election of T.N. Gibbs as the M.P. for North Ontario, a large number of friends headed by the Port Perry Brass Band marched from that village through Prince Albert where they spent a couple of hours of enjoyment.
   September 1872
   The County of Ontario Rifle Association held their annual matches at Prince Albert offering over $400 in prizes.
   An auction sale of 70 splendid building lots on or adjacent to Union Avenue took place.
   The Port Perry Carriage Factory, owned by W. U. White was destroyed by fire Sept. 10, by a fire believed to have been caused by sparks from the forge chimney. Mr. White estimates his loss at $6,000.
   Excursions from Port Perry and Caesarea to Lindsay are the order of the day, and Capt. Crandell's excellent new steamer "Vanderbilt" is already a favorite on these waters.
   George Currie moved to his business from Prince Albert to a greatly increased facility for doing business in Port Perry.
   October 1872
   John Nott of Borelia, Carpenter and Undertaker, has moved his place of business to the store formerly occupied by Jones Bros., nearly opposite the new building.
   The North Ontario Agricultural Society held it's two-day Fall Fair at Prince Albert. The show was decidedly one of the best, if not the very best every held.
   An accident at the Whitby station which damaged an engine, resulted in a telegraph to Port Perry to have the "Scugog" engine come to its relief and take charge of the passengers.
   A new stage coach, built at Ontario Carriage Works, Prince Albert, is being used to provide comfortable transportation to travellers between Uxbridge and Reach Twp.
   The annual North Ontario Plowing Match took place at the Bascom Farm near Uxbridge village.
   Jones Bros. of Port Perry have taken possession of their splendid new brick store. They have erected one of the finest and best appointed business establishments in the province. The building is 80' deep by forty wide and contains two spacious stores, connected by a wide archway.
   November 1872
   Reach Twp. continues its battle with the PW & PP Railway to have a proper station built, as agreed upon in the by-law.
   Reach passes a bylaw stating it was dissatisfied with the award of the arbitrator, regarding the railway, and council authorized Deputy Reeve James Holman and Mr. Purdy to obtain a written opinion of either Mr. R. A. Harrison or the Hon. J.H. Cameron regarding the legality of the award and report to the council.
   A battle of words rages between James Baird of the Ontario Observer and Edward Mundy of The Standard. Baird apologies for replies to the "slanderous rubbish in that indecent, filthy, ribald rag, the Port Perry Standard," and suggests that in the interest of morality and truth, the miserable worthless sheet and its still more worthless scribblers should be kicked out of the community.
   Wm. Jamieson opens a Flour and Feed Store, one door east of Foy's Hotel, Port Perry.
   December 1872
   Geo. Currie, treasurer of Reach Twp., handed in his resignation, to take effect at the close of this year.
   The new church erected by the C.P. Congregation of Cartwright was dedicated to public worship on the Sabbath, 15th December 1872.
   Over 100 residents met at the Town Hall, Manchester, for the purpose of nominating candidates for the offices of Reeve and Councillors for 1873.

   January 1873
   Complaints about mail service arise, with claims there is no direct mail communication between Manchester, Prince Albert or Port Perry and any place north along the Centre Rd., namely Greenbank, and Saintfield.
   Election results - Reach Twp. James Graham Reeve, James Holman, M. Weir, deputy Reeves, D. Purdy and J.C. Pilkey, councillors.
   In Port Perry, Reeve Joseph Bigelow was returned by acclamation, council members are Caleb Crandell, A.W. Roberts, John Phillipo and G.U. White.
   In Scugog Twp. W.S. Sexton was elected Reeve.
   W. H. Park has moved his furniture business from Prince Albert to a location opposite the Post Office in Port Perry.
   William Wightman & Co. advertise effective April, they will be closing their business in Prince Albert.
   A public meeting was held at the Town Hall in Williamsburg for the purpose of discussing the proposed Ontario and Quebec Railway.
   February 1873
   The annual winter horse races on Lake Scugog took place with two great days of racing.
   Railway meetings held in Manchester and Port Perry regarding the Ontario & Quebec Railway, which proposes to purchase the PW & PP Railway and extend it to Georgian Bay with a branch to Uxbridge.
   H.L. Ebbels calls for the people of Reach to be taxed for the support of the Port Perry High School.
   Mr. Harrison Maw disposes of valuable lots on Queen, Mary and Perry St., in Port Perry by auction, J. L. Watkins, auctioneer.
   J.H. Brown becomes the successor of the office of the treasurer in Reach following the retirement of Geo. Currie.
   March 1873
   A by-law from the Township of Cartwright, to aid and assist the Ontario and Quebec Railway by giving a bonus of $25,000 was defeated soundly. Of the 105 votes, 70 voted against the by-law.
   The 1871 Census report shows the Township of Reach with 6,809 inhabitants. Of English decent there are 3,484, Irish 1,599, Scotch 1,074, German 379, French 145 and 160 various. Scugog Twp. has a population of 880 and Cartwright 2,515.
   Dewar's Hotel, Nonquon, and nearly all its contents was destroyed by fire.
   The Ontario government completed the lock and Lindsay and improved the Scugog River by widening and dredging the channel.
   April 1873
   A fire which broke out at 11 p.m. on the first of April in Prince Albert and within three hours it had laid in ashes the splendid block on the north-east corner of Simcoe and King St. Totally consumed by the fire fiend were Wright's Boot and Shoe establishment, Willcox Drug & Grocery store, Wightman's extensive general goods store and the Masonic Temple. Total loss was estimated at over $15,000 in property and stock.
   May 1873
   Former Prince Albert resident Dr. George W. Jones was elected president of the newly chartered village of Imlay City, Michigan.
   Fares for riding the PW & PP Railway are: from Port Perry to Whitby 70 cts., from Prince Albert 65 cts. and from Manchester 60 cts.
   Mr. C. Payne has commenced the manufacture of bricks at the village of Manchester.
   The PW & PP Railway was purchased by J. Austin and J. Michie, who purchased the stock and bonds for $165,000. Mr. Austin becomes president, Mr. Michie vice president and the directors are J. Holden, E. Major, John Dryden, A. Ross and C. Draper.
   James Baird was elected president of the stockholder of the Prince Albert Public Hall Joint Stock Company.
   June 1873
   At the June session of County Council, Mr. Sexton suggested that the county engineer, Mr. Shear, be authorized to examine the Scugog Bridge with a view to the best mode of securing said bridge in its proper place, as the present fastening had given way, the timbers now being rotted off, and as new fastening are required. Mr. Sexton feels it would be advisable to have the engineer inspect it to see whether a better mode of fastening than that hitherto adopted might not be employed.
   July 1873
   Dominion Day celebrations in Port Perry included a regatta, horse races, steamboat excursions, music by the Port Perry Brass Band and a torch-light procession. A steamboat left the wharf every two hours making a trip to the Indian Village and back.
   The Hon. T.N. Gibbs was returned as M.P for South Ontario.
   A new lodge of L.Y.B was formed and installation of the officers took place in the Orange Hall, Bigelow's Block, Port Perry. Officers are: Bro. Wm. Kennedy, M., Gerrow Gardener, D.M., R. Foy, secretary and Wm. Hiscocks, treasurer.
   Longtime businessman and Justice of the Peace, John W. Allison passed away in his 50th year.
   August 1873
   About 250 people enjoyed the Grand Excursion of the Presbyterian Sabbath School. A special train arriving from Whitby brought excursionists from points all along the way. Here they boarded the steamer Ontario, accompanied by two large flat boats and made their way to Washburn Island for a grand day.
   The steamer Champion left her mooring at Port Perry with some 90 of the chief businessmen of Toronto, Oshawa, Whitby, Prince Albert and Port Perry. At Lindsay they boarded Capt. Crandell's Vanderbilt and progress on to Bobcaygeon on the two-day excursion.
   The Ontario Observer announces it is moving to the Warriner Block, just west of the Post Office, in Port Perry, due to the shift of business from Prince Albert to that village.
   W.H. McCaw Jeweller opens business in Bigelow's Royal Arcade, Port Perry.
   September 1873
   The drain of business continues from Prince Albert to Port Perry. Joshua Wright announced the move of his Boot & Shoe Establishment, to a location opposite White's Carriage Factory.
   Work on the new school house (Union School) is being undertaken by Mr. Devrill and his skillful workman. The corporations investment for land and building of the school is about $12,000.
   The Dominion Telegraph Company opens a Port Perry office in the Royal Arcade under the care of W.H. McCaw.
   The Anglo-American Hotel in Prince Albert is put on the market For Sale or Rent by Mrs. Moogridge. Contents of the 10 bedroom hotel go up for auction.
   Jacob Dafoe announces his retirement and offers For Sale the Dafoe House Hotel, store and dwelling in the Village of Utica.
   Work is progressing favorably on the new Port Perry Town Hall.
   Tenders for the erection of a Wesleyan Methodist Brick Church in Port Perry were being received by George Currie.
   Cole & Company's Dominion Circus entertains in Port Perry.
   W.M. Willcox holds an auction of his buggies and wagons as a consequence of his moving business to Port Perry.
   October 1873
   A public meeting of the ratepayers was held at Dewar's Hotel to consider granting aid to the projected Bowmanville and Georgian Bay Railway with view of a route through the village.
   D. McKercher's tender for gravelling Queen St., from Currie's store, east to Thompson's Hotel, eight feet wide and nine inches deep was accepted at a rate of $1 per rod.
   Duncan Urquhart, notwithstanding what has been said about him leaving Prince Albert, will be in Port Perry in a few days with his plows, and cutters.
   The large and handsome Town Hall building has now attained its height and will soon be ready for occupancy.
   Among the new homes under erection are for Messrs. Willcox, Crandell, Mark Currie, Gordon, Wm. Brock and Cameron.
   Mr. Isaac Davis, station master here of the PW & PP Railway is building a handsome residence immediately north of the English Church.
   The steamer Victoria owned by Mr. Shaw of Peterborough docked at Port Perry, the first time this capital craft has been in Lake Scugog waters.
   November 1873
   Dissolution of partnership and clearing out of business of Brown & Christian, Manchester.
   The new firm of Brown & Ross (John H. Brown & Robert Ross) commences business, having bought out A. Ross, Esq., father of the junior partner. Aaron Ross, although giving up the Dry Goods business remains active in the grain market.
   H.H. McCaw was honored at a dinner having resigned the position of Post Master in Prince Albert and preparing to move to Port Perry.
   The Anglo-American Hotel has been taken over by Mr. Badgerow.
   A grand shooting match of pigeons takes place at H. Foy's Royal Canadian Hotel, Port Perry, with a large number of pigeons secured for the sport.
   Abner Hurd, one of Prince Albert's earliest settlers, died at the age of 83 years. He settled just east of the village in 1824.
   The new municipal act sets nomination meetings for towns, townships and villages as the last Monday in December and elections to be held on the first Monday in January.
   December 1873
   The basement of the new Town Hall is being used as a temporary shelter for the town's fire engine, until a suitable place could be found.
   The excellent and comparatively new School House of School Section No. 4, Reach Twp., was destroyed by fire. Neighbour Wm. Coates was only able to save the clock and a few maps.
   McKenzie & Scott's Photographic Gallery opens opposite Foy's Hotel, Port Perry.
   W.S. Sexton announces, having been requested by a large number of ratepayers, to run for the office of Reeve of Port Perry for 1874.
   Reeve Joseph Bigelow holds meeting in the new Town Hall, which was still naked of bricks on its lofty walls, had gaping joists and was in a general uncompleted state.
   Reach Twp. treasurer J.H. Brown, handed in his resignation of office to take effect the end of the present year.

   January 1874
   Elected by acclamation in Cartwright Twp.: Reeve Robt. B. Spinks and councillors Parr, Taylor, Hylands and Goggin.
   Joseph Bigelow was returned as Reeve for Port Perry in a hard fought battle with W.S. Sexton. Councillors are Roberts, G.U. White, Adams and Davis.
   In Reach Twp., James Graham won the seat of Reeve. His council consists of Holman and St. John, Dept. Reeves, and Purdy and Pilkey councillors.
   In order to meet the rapidly increasing population of Port Perry, Chas. Hiscock announced the opening of his Bakery and Confectionary in the village.
   All parties desirous of obtaining a license for the sale of intoxicating liquors must make application to council.
   February 1874
   The new Bible Christian Church in Caesarea was opened for divine service on Sunday, February 1, 1874.
   Jessie Ireland added on an important stage between Port Perry and Manilla.
   T.C. Forman announces the selling of his merchandise at cost and closing his business in Prince Albert.
   Ontario Carriage Works of Prince Albert announces it is closing its business and moving to Port Perry.
   Port Perry tenders for 150,000 feet of 2 inch plank; 10,000 feet of 4x4 cedar scantling, to be used for building sidewalks.
   Thousands gather on the ice to watch the annual Port Perry Winter Races.
   March 1874
   Mr. B.R. Kimball, superintendent of the PW & PP Railway tenders his resignation. More than 80 community leaders and businessmen from Port Perry and Reach asked the company to withdraw the resignation.
   Seventy five seats were ordered for the new Town Hall from the Bowmanville Factory, priced at 35 cts. per foot.
   A by-law was passed appropriating $2 per head of the population of the corporation of Port Perry, to the completing of the Town Hall.
   D. Urquhart's Agricultural Implement Emporium, formerly located in Prince Albert, opened just west of Geo. Currie's Store.
   The Port Perry House hotel, owned by James V. Thompson, due to failing health is offered for sale.
   A fire at the home of W.J. Trounce, was confined to the back kitchen, which was destroyed in the blaze.
   Adam Gordon announces he is giving up general merchandise business and has sold it to Messrs. T.S. Corrigan and Rutherford.
   April 1874
   Geo. Uriah White suddenly and unexpected vacates his seat on council , due to being declared insolvent.
   A Montreal clock manufacturer offers to furnish a 5 foot diameter clock for the clock tower of the new Town Hall at a cost of $350.
   Mr. D. McKercher hands in his resignation as clerk for the corporation, to take effect April 11th.
   A bustle of activity taking place around the Port Perry wharf as an army of busy workmen remove the foundations of factory buildings for the Railway Company.
   George Currie is laying down cedar and other timbers in preparation of the erection of a large grain store-house and elevator, capable of holding 50-60 thousand bushels of grain.
   T.C. Forman opens one of the largest and best stocked stores containing dry goods, groceries, hardware, boots and shoes, one store east of Allison's Drug Store.
   The Wesleyan Methodist Church opens services in the new Town Hall on Sabbath next, 26 inst.
   The Dominion Hotel, operated by D.B. Denison, opens to business. Being situated at the Port Perry Station of the railway it is convenient for parties coming by cars or steamboat.
   Mr. C. Paxton was elected to fill the seat on council vacated by G.U. White.
   J. Tennyson offers for sale the Tavern Stand in Manchester known as the Union Hotel.
   May 1874
   The new Town hall, since its completion has been a grand centre of attraction, with a rich and varied supply of entertainment and concerts.
   The Township of Reach records it has 19 school sections, three of which are union sections.
   Work is being pushed with vigor on the erection of the new brick Wesleyan Methodist Church in Port Perry.
   Workmen, under the efficient directions of Mr. Kennedy are making needed repairs to the streets and boardwalks in town. Many trees are being planted along the principal streets which will add greatly to the appearance.
   James Smith, a 23 year old worker at Sexton's Saw Mill was killed when he got caught in the main driving belt and carried round the drum.
   June 1874
   Dr. Ware of Prince Albert moved his office to Port Perry and has gone into partnership with Dr. F.H.Brathwaite.
   The handsome Town Hall is being completed with the erection of the tower. The hall is estimated to have cost the corporation about $6,000.
   Observer editor calls for repairs to the bridge over the old mill creek immediately west of Borelia before anyone gets hurt.
   Henry Charles offers for sale his most eligible Stand in Port Perry - corner of Queen and Water St. - close to the railway station, the wharfs and opposite the new grain elevator.
   Mr. Currie's Grain Store house and Elevator in course of erection at the railway terminus at Port Perry has advanced its first stage. The size of the timbers and the plan on which it is constructed will secure uncommon strength, in fact it appears as if no amount of weight could effect it.
   The Scugog Presbyterian Church has chartered Capt. Dawes and his steamship Ogemah for excursion trip from Port Perry and Platten Island on Dominion Day.
   July 1874
   Port Perry celebrated Dominion day with vim, with 3,000 visitors flocking into the village to take part in excursions, concerts and sporting events. About 550 adults and 850 children took advantage of an excursion to Platten Island.
   Proposal to purchased 12 acres of J. Bigelow's land near the rice-beds on Scugog for a Fair show ground is meeting resistance. Cost of the land is $7,000.
   A.W. Roberts becomes the second council member to resign during this term on the corporation's council. J. B. Campbell was duly elected to the position.
   Dr. Sangster was elected as a representative for the Public School Teachers at the Council of Public Instruction.
   Our Indian friends of Scugog held the annual entertainment at a beautiful spot in the woods surrounded by nature's richest tapestry. Entertainment included the Indian choir, speakers, and afternoon tea.
   The corporation purchases three hand Fire Engines with hooks, ladders and 100 feet of hose.
   Neil McArthur offers for sale, bricks made from clay unsurpassed in quality, from his brick factory just north of Borelia.
   August 1874
   Council accepts Jessie Ireland's offer to purchased 12 acres of land which he would fence and build a suitable hall for the purpose of holding agricultural fairs. The corporation to lease it back at $75 per year for a period of 10 years.
   W.S. Sexton launches a lawsuit against the corporation claiming damages of $20,000 for injuries received from an accident on Water St. earlier in the year.
   September 1874
   A by-law for the issue of $5,000 more in debentures on the credit of the corporation of Port Perry was successful by one vote.
   Mr. Jones of Markham agrees to supply a bell for the Town Hall on a trail. If satisfactory as to tone and power, the cost would be $120.
   Controversy surrounded the late vote of the Reeve, 11 minutes after the polls were supposed to close, giving the by-law the majority.
   Building continues at a great pace in Port Perry, with Mr. Thos. Courtice new harness establishment, a fine new block by A. Ross is in the course of erection and the commodious building of Mr. Leonard is being hastened to completion.
   The grain stores and Elevator now being completed by Geo. Currie is by far the most important erection, now going up in the village. The elevator is nearly ready for going into action.
   Mr. Tripp, contractor for the Town Hall, was instructed to complete the bell tower without further interruptions.
   Messrs Brown & Ross have purchased the Maw property south of the foundry to erect an extensive pork-packing establishment. Mr. Wm. Spence does the stonework and Mr. Widden the wood.
   October 1874
   The opening and dedication of the new Methodist Church, Port Perry, took place on Sabbath, 18th inst. The church will hold 400 worshippers and cost $7,000 to build.
   Council authorized 1,500 feet of lumber delivered to Currie and Gordon for the purpose of making a sidewalk past their premises, expense and labor supplied by the applicant.
   Mr. Thos. Courtice's splendid new Harness Shop, opposite J.W. Davis Cabinet Factory, Queen St., is now completed and in full operation.
   November 1874
   Port Perry population is 1,720, horses 140; cattle 118; hogs 43, sheep 17 and dogs 68.
   Total amount to be raised by taxes for the present year is $6,066. Of this, $3,871 is demanded by the School Board.
   Grand Pigeon Shooting match to take place at Dafoe House, Utica
   A Port Perry Literary Club was organized at the Son's Hall in the Bigelow Block. Rev. C.C. Johnstone of the Church of Ascension was elected President.
   The anniversary of the Gunpowder Plot was celebrated in Port Perry with a torch light procession and demonstrations of the judging, condemning, decapitating and burning of the notorious Guy Fawks.
   Dr. J.H. Sangster has become a resident of Port Perry and has opened an office for the practice of medicine over Nott's Furniture Store, corner of Queen and Perry St.
   W.S. Sexton, Esq. of Port Perry sold to James Graham the esteemed Reeve of the Township of Reach, 800 acres of his Springwater Farm on Scugog Island.
   Benjamin Crandell threatens to sue the corporation regarding the digging of a well convenient to the new school building. Council maintained they had not employed him to do the work.
   December 1874
   The Ontario Packing House, just completed by Brown and Ross, is one of the best appointed establishments of its kind in the province.
   The firm of Jones Bros, entertained their employees to an Oyster Supper at the residence of Chas. Jones, head of the firm. Some 45 employees were given a supper worthy of their hosts.
   Mr. Thomas Walker has become proprietor of the Royal Hotel, Port Perry, formerly owned by D. Ireland. He has fitted it up in a style which would do credit to any town or city.
   The Town Hall in Manchester, which was a disgrace to the township, has been refitted and is now an ornament to the municipality.
   Messrs Geo. Currie and Joseph Bigelow nominated for the office of Reeve. Mr Currie asked his name to be withdrawn as he would not serve under any circumstances, and would pay the fine if elected.

   January 1875
   ELECTION RESULTS - Port Perry, Reeve Joseph Bigelow; councillors Wm. Jones, J.J. Shaw, C.C. Kellett and Mark Currie.
   A.W. Ewers defeated Joshua Wright to become Reach Twp. Reeve. Council consisted of Geo. St. John, James Holman, Joshua Dobson and Peter Christie.
   Esteemed businessman, Chas. Paxton, aged 47, a partner in the firm of Paxton, Tate & Co. of the Port Perry Foundry died of a severe illness.
   The winter horse races on the ice at Port Perry offer near $5,000 in prizes to the competitors.
   The directors of the Port Perry, Reach and Scugog Agriculture Society decide on holding Spring Shows in Manchester and Fall Shows in Port Perry.
   John Diesfeld, Watchmaker, announces his removal from Prince Albert to take up new premises between Bigelow's Royal Arcade and the Walker House.
   February 1875
   The corporation paid Mr. Benjamin Crandell $1,000 for the purchase of the Town Hall site. Interest on the purchase amounted to $152.50.
   The Port Perry Races were postponed due to heavy snowfall which blocked roads, closed businesses and almost freezing us to death.
   Mr. Forman presented 77 name petition asking Reach council to suppress one of the two hotels in the village in the interest of public morals. Declining business over the past three years, was not sufficient to warrant two hotels.
   Port Perry council passes a by-law limiting seven licensed hotels - T. Walker (Walker House), J.V. Thompson (Port Perry House), James Dewart (Queen's Hotel), D.B. Denison (Dominion Hotel), Jessie Ireland, Millar and J. Dafoe (Dafoe House) at $110 per license.
   March 1875
   Reeve Bigelow instructed Mr. Wharton, the liquor inspector, to ensure no liquor be sold in either shops or taverns in Port Perry, between seven o'clock Saturday evening until six o'clock Monday morning.
   The Town Hall was packed for the annual exhibition of music and song, of our High School pupils, hosted by principal D. McBride.
   Mr. Finley, late of Scugog, is having built a new rapid sailing steamer, to be ready to take the water on the opening of navigation, to ply between the ports of Lindsay and Port Perry.
   April 1875
   Mr. Tate and 100 others petitioned the Council to open up Paxton St. through to Perry Street. Mr. Yarnold was instructed to survey the street and report to the next meeting.
   Council discussed the merits and necessity of a bell and clock for the Town Hall. No decision made.
   The partnership of Richard and Chas. W. Jones, operating as Jones Brothers was dissolved. The business to continue under the same name in the hands of Wm. M. Jones and Chas. W. Jones.
   Mr. S.E. Allison, Druggist, has secured Wm. Spence of Utica, to build a handsome new residence this season.
   S.H. Christian purchases the premises occupied by Adam Gordon, at Manchester, as a general store and post office.
   May 1875
   James Emaney sold his Queen St. Blacksmithing establishment, to John Nott, Esq., who is about to convert it into a Cabinet Factory. Mr. Emaney will concentrate all his business at his Ontario Carriage Works, on Perry St.
   Mr. W. H. Park of this place has purchased the Anglo-American Hotel in Prince Albert, with plans to enter into business.
   Captain Finley's new steamer Maple Leaf has now been completed at Hoover's. It will go into regular service on Monday, 24th inst., the Queen's Birthday.
   The interior of the Post Office has been completely changed to accommodate the increase in business of the village. When completed Port Perry will have one of the most comfortable and convenient post offices one could wish.
   Council negotiated with Mr. Bigelow to purchase the right of way for a street to connect Paxton to Perry St. Mr. Bigelow said he would not sell for six times the amount of $75 proposed by the corporation.
   June 1875
   T.C. Forman has moved his dry goods and grocery business into the splendid new store west of the Walker House Hotel.
   Mr. J.B. Laing will open a new hardware establishment in the premises lately occupied by Mr. Forman.
   James Baird comments: "It is certainly no credit to this thriving town to have a bell tower on our splendid Town Hall, looking down like a great dummy through its leather spectacles on the passers by. One looks up for a clock and find the bottom of a flour barrel meeting his gaze. One thousand dollars will place a suitable four dial clock and bell in the tower."
   Scugog Bridge caretaker, Joseph Reader, instructed to prosecute any party fastening rafts or scows to the bridge, for fear of damage to said bridge.
   The whistle of the PW & PP Railway is almost an hourly occurrence while far stretching trains of heavily loaded cars show the vast amount of timber and lumber being moved over this line. The Port Perry wharf is a also a picture of thrift and activity.
   Mr. W.J. Dafoe has leased Miller's Hotel in Port Perry and got it completely renovated from top to bottom.
   July 1875
   Tenders are let for the erection of a brick church, the Church of England, at Williamsburg, Township of Cartwright.
   A Temperance Festival, under the auspices of the Manchester Sons of Temperance, took place in the handsome and comfortable Manchester Hall, with John Christie discharging the duties.
   The celebration of the 12th of July in Port Perry attracted about 2,500 to the Show Hall at the agricultural grounds to take place in the celebrations. About 1,100 excursionists arrive by train and Capt. Dawes provided excursions on his steamer "Ogemah."
   Council approves award of $175 as price of land to be purchased from Mr. Joseph Bigelow for land to allow extension of Paxton Street to Perry St.
   August 1875
   About 100 men were busy at the Manchester Station lending a willing hand in assisting at the raising of S.H. Christian's new elevator.
   The Bible Christian Church, Prince Albert re-opened for services, after undergoing a thorough repair.
   Excursion to Washburn Island on the holiday Monday with the Ogemah towing one flat boat, followed by the Victoria with two flat boats making their way up the lake with about 900 valued denizens aboard for the regatta and picnic.
   September 1875
   Construction in Cartwright - the Town Hall is undergoing some important repairs, the contract for the new Church of England at Williamsburg has been given to Mr. A.D. Huckins for $4,000, and Mr. Fluke is laying the foundation of a splendid new building for a first class general store.
   Henry Webb advertises first class red or white bricks manufactured at his Nonquon Brick Field on the 12th concession of Reach.
   Mr. Hayes home, just south of the Victoria Hotel, Prince Albert was destroyed by fire.
   A barrack containing 18 tons of hay, belonging to Mr. Geo. Jackson, was consumed by fire after being struck by lightning.
   October 1875
   The four-year old son of James Jackson, Scugog, was attacked by a boar pig, tearing him and ripping out a rib, before three men got the animal off.
   The repaired Salem B.C. Church, a couple of miles north of Port Perry held a special re-opening service.
   John Christie was elected president of the Manchester Division, No. 245, Sons of Temperance. Other officers included H. Fitchett, Wm. Christian, H. Lamb and Jos. Graham.
   After a six year absence, G.W. Jones, M.D., was greeted by a large circle of friends, when he came home from the United States, to visit his ailing brother, Dr. Richard Jones.
   A service took place in connection with the re-opening of the Methodist Church, Prince Albert, following extensive repairs.
   November 1875
   Meeting held to discuss the erection of a bridge or roadway connecting Port Perry and Scugog with the Township of Cartwright. Application made to the Legislative Assembly of Ontario for a Charter to empower a company to construct such work.
   The Dafoe House Hotel, of Port Perry, owned by Jacob Dafoe, is offered for sale with all furniture and fixtures.
   In the corporation there were 374 rods of plank sidewalks built during the year. Also 19 culverts and 11 bridges over ditches were constructed.
   Mr. Emaney of the Ontario Carriage Works is showing one of the most magnificent displays of cutters and sleighs in time for winter.
   Mr. D. Ireland, owner of the Queen's Hotel has given the premises a thorough renovation and it now well deserves the title Queen's.
   December 1875
   Mr. T. H. Mason, the retired host of the Royal Exchange Hotel, Williamsburg, has been succeeded by E. Bryans.
   Manchester Primitive Methodist Church, having undergone a thorough repair, was re-opened for divine service. The church has been so much improved, one can scarcely believe it is the same house.
   Joseph Bigelow signifies his intention of declining further honors as Reeve for the municipality.
   The report of chimney inspector D. Rose, sets forth he has inspected 375 chimneys this year.
   Arbitrators awarded contractor Wm. Spence $354.53 owed by the corporation for his work on the erection of the Town Hall.

   January 1876
   Council for 1876 stands as: Reeve Joshua Wright, Messrs. E. Worthington, C. Crandell, J. Rolph and John Currie as councillors.
   In Scugog Township James Graham is elected Reeve. In Reach Township A.W. Ewers was elected Reeve, and Messrs. G. St. John, Peter Christie, Jos. Dobson and J. Mowbray councillors.
   Messrs. Taylor, Powers and Breathwaite are erecting a substantial building, 54' x 64'x 34' high, on Lilla St. for a planing mill, door and sash factory, etc. to be known as the Dominion Planning Mill.
   There was a capital turnout for the Anniversary services of the Methodist Episcopal Church, Port Perry, with Rev. J.R. Jacques conducting the service.
   At the annual meeting of the North Ontario Agricultural Society, elected as president was Charles Marsh and vice-president Donald McKay.
   Reeve J. Wright was injured and his buggy badly smashed, when his team of horses bolted and ran, causing the accident.
   The School Board reveals that during the early part of 1875 they had two lawsuits on hand, first the builder for the balance of his pay and second, the architect sued them for pay for extra services on the new Union School.
   February 1876
   Port Perry passes a by-law limiting five hotels in town. Four for the first 1000 and one for the 400 over 1000.
   G.W. Ross, Esq., M.P. for North Middlesex, lectured on 'prohibition' at the Town Hall, Port Perry.
   At a meeting of the leading Temperance men of the county held at the Town Hall, Port Perry, a County Temperance Association was formed with Geo. Currie, elected president.
   The Port Perry Band, under the leadership of Mr. T. Wharton, are giving a good account of itself.
   James Dewart, late of the Queen's Hotel, Port Perry, has leased the Commercial Hotel, Williamsburg, taking over from Mr. T. Oke.
   Seventy five ladies, armed with a petition of 157 ratepayers marched to the Town Hall, to a meeting of council, demanding increases in tavern licenses. Council complied raising a licence fee from $85 to $100 and a shop licence from $85 to $200.
   March 1876
   Reeves James Graham and Joseph Bigelow call for tenders for brushing and covering for 600 feet of the Scugog Bridge.
   James Heard lists his Union Hotel in Manchester for sale.
   Council accepted a tender from Paxton, Bigelow and Trounce to supply pine planks at $9 per thousand board feet for new sidewalks.
   The Reach Temperance Association was formed at a meeting of temperance men and women at the Town Hall, Manchester, March 11th. Object of Association is to repress the evils of intemperance and prohibit liquor traffic as a beverage throughout the Dominion.
   At a Railway Meeting held at the Town Hall, Port Perry, a motion put forth by Mark Currie, seconded by J. Nott, moved, that it would be to the interest of Port Perry to grant a liberal bonus towards the construction of the proposed railway extension to Lindsay. The motion carried.
   The Commercial Hotel is under a new host, Mr. Oke having sold out to Mr. James Dewart.
   A destructive fire at the home of John Nott, Esq., Borelia, was contained before it could spread to Mr. Jewett's fine block of buildings.
   Joseph Gould, Uxbridge, and M.G. Robson, Prince Albert, were appointed Liquor Licence Commissioners for the Province.
   April 1876
   In Williamsburg, John McKercher has timber on the ground for the erection of a steam Woolen Mill and machine shop, located near the new brick church just being completed for the Church of England.
   Mr. W. B. McGaw, of Oshawa, purchased the lease for the Walker House, Port Perry, decidedly one of the best hotels in the province.
   A new, much safer, coupling device, for coupling railway cars, was installed on several cars at the Port Perry station for a demonstration in front of a large crowd.
   Council authorized the closet, under the stairs of the Town Hall, be converted into a lock-up for prisoners. Cost not to exceed $25.
   Mr. H. Graham opens a Boot and Shoe Shop in Mr. Park's premises, east of the Anglo-American Hotel, Prince Albert.
   Mr. Broad of the Port Perry Soda Water, Ginger Ale factory is turning out large quantities of the very best of these popular cooling summer drinks.
   May 1876
   The by-law, granting a bonus of $20,000 to the Port Whitby and Port Perry Railway company to assist in the extension to Lindsay, carried by a majority of 75 votes.
   P.A. Hurd presented a draft of a proposed by-law which urged Reach council to the many benefits which would arise from the construction of an extension, of the PW & PP Railway, and asking for a bonus of $15,000 from Reach.
   June 1876
   Adam Gordon, Esq., M.P., aged 45 years, died suddenly and unexpectedly, leaving a widow and children. He is a former Reeve of Reach Twp.
   Rev. George Jones, a highly respected and esteemed member of the community passed away. He was attending a conference in Orono when he took ill, and died four days after the attack. He leaves his wife and nine children.
   July 1876
   W.H. Gibbs was elected as the representative for the North Riding of Ontario County, in the House of Commons, defeating his opponent, Mr. Geo. Currie by 86 votes.
   The Church of England, Williamsburg, Cartwright, dedicated their handsome new brick church on Sabbath 23rd inst.
   A barn belonging to Messrs. D. & A. Munro, 9th conc. of Reach, was destroyed after being struck by lightning during a thunderstorm
   Port Perry High School students faired well in provincial tests. Thirteen students obtained the necessary marks.
   A moonlight excursion on board the steamer Ogemah left Port Perry wharf Friday night with an excellent Quadrille band providing music for dancing.
   August 1876
   Mr. Carnegie, who operated the Ianson Flouring and Oatmeal Mills, near Manchester, for several years, is leaving to move to Cannington.
   Messrs Brown & Ross announce the dissolution of their partnership in business and sell off their stock at cost.
   George Currie announces his intention to give up business and selling off his entire stock at bargain prices.
   Chas. McCaw miraculously escaped death at the Manchester Grist Mill, when his team of horses bolted, throwing him from the wagon and narrowly escaping being trampled by the horses before the wagon rolled over him.
   The town's new Fire Brigade, the first we every had in the village deserving the name are thoroughly organized, fully equipped and prepared for action.
   The Town Hall bell was being sounded during church services, annoying the worshippers in nearby churches.
   Capt. Crandell's steamer Champion, was on its way to Port Perry with a tow of several scows loaded with lumber, when a spark from the engine started a fire on one of the scows. The lumber, valued at $600 and scow at $900 were all lost.
   The M.E. Sunday School, Port Hoover, held their Anniversary services for 1876 with grand entertainment.
   September 1876
   Mr. J.H. Brown, late of the firm of Brown & Ross purchased the stock and goodwill of Mr. Geo. Currie, and is opening business in the formers store, located facing on Queen and Perry St.
   Construction on the new bridge over the Scugog goes bravely on, Mr. Dyer is within 40 feet of the limit of his contract and making a capital job of it.
   Messrs. James and Wm. Paxton have purchased from Mr. Broad the entire stock and good will of this Soda Water and Ginger Ale manufacturing business.
   October 1876
   The new business firm of Davis & Robinson, two young, intelligent and upright men, have succeeded Mr. H.A. Black as grocery, liquor and provision merchants in Port Perry.
   Mr. T. Allin moved from his old stand west of the Port Perry House to his new premises east of the Ontario Bank.
   November 1876
   Quick work by Mr. Legare, a night watchman at the mills, along with Mr. Bigelow and the crew of the Anglo-Saxon, resulted in saving the steamship Ogemah from destruction by fire. Capt. Dawes, the owner of Ogemah, offered a $50 reward for conviction of parties who set fire.
   At a special meeting of the School Board, the services of the Head Master, Mr. D. McBride, was secured for another year at a salary of $1,400, this being a $200 advance from the previous year.
   David Mitchell, son of Mr. Chas. Mitchell was assailed from his buggy by three men, who took his money, gave him a kick, and sent him on his way.
   Mr. Diesfeld has taken over sole ownership of the business lately carried on by Diesfeld and Doll, Port Perry.
   The enterprising firm of T.S. Corrigan & Campbell have purchased and set up the Canadian Air Gas Machine in their building for lighting their entire premises. They also supply from their gas machine, Allison's Drug store, to the east of their establishment. They are the first in North Ontario to convert to gas from the use of coal oil.
   December 1876
   Chester Draper, Esq., while delivering an address to the C. M. Church, Whitby, was seized with paralysis and fell on the platform.
   Former Port Perry watchmaker and jeweller, Frank L. Doll, of Diesfeld and Doll, opened a store in the town of Peterborough.
   Dinner guests of Mr. Houck, of the Revere House, Manchester, to mark the closing of the present year included Reach Reeve A.W. Ewers, clerk John Christie and treasurer S.H. Christian.
   Contest heating up in Reach Twp for the position of Reeve between Mr. Geo. St. John and the present Reeve, Mr. A.W. Ewers.

   January 1877
   Reach council for 1877 will be A.W. Ewers, Reeve; John Mowbray 1st Deputy; Peter Christie 2nd Deputy; and Joseph Dobson, Leonard Burnett and B. Barnes, councillors.
   Port Perry elects Joshua Wright for Reeve over John Nott. Wright receiving 180 votes, Nott 50 votes. Members of council are Clement Dawes, John Currie, W. Jones, Caleb Crandell and Mark Currie
   Scugog elected Jas. Graham Reeve.
   A census taken for the Village of Port Perry showed that the population at the end of 1876 was 2,033, an increase of 161 from the previous year. There was a total of 370 families, averaging nearly 5.5 in each family.
   Temperatures of 60 below zero and clouds of snow on which a man could sit without breaking through were a little too much for flesh and blood and the annual ice races on Lake Scugog had to be postponed.
   February 1877
   County Council ordered paid the items for the Scugog Bridge, amounting in all, with last year's grant to $1,957.60.
   Clerk instructed to tender for the furnishing of 5,000 feet of well seasoned pine plank, 1 1/2 inch thick, 12 inches wide and 12 feet in length.
   Bro. William Kennedy, Port Perry, was elected County Master of the North Ontario Orange Co. Lodge at a meeting held in Cannington
   A meeting to discuss the Dunkin Act (a law prohibiting the retail of intoxicating liquors) was held at the Town Hall, Port Perry. A number of men spoke in favor and against the act, to the packed hall.
   March 1877
   Mr. Wm. Lee was driving across the ice of Scugog, when near the Caesarea shore his horse broke through and was drowned. The ice is not now to be trusted and parties will do well to avoid it.
   A severe snow storm blocked up the track of the Whitby and Port Perry Railway delaying the evening train until 3 o'clock the next morning.
   Robt. Spinks, Esq., late of the Township of Cartwright, has purchased a residence and become a resident of Port Perry.
   H. McPhail, Esq., Merchant and Post Master at Williamsburg, Cartwright, sold out his premises to Mr. R. Bryans Jr. He was honored a complimentary supper in the town hall, Williamsburg.
   Mark Currie calls for the Village to be incorporated as a Town, having the necessary number of inhabitants. A public meeting was called at the Town Hall, but due to a poor turnout, no action was taken.
   Jones Bros. disposed of the Dry Goods department of their business to J.A. Stirling & Co. The grocery and produce business was conveyed to W. M. Jones.
   Mr. J.S. Baird of lot No. 17, 14th concession of Reach, while gathering sap in his woods discovered a depression in the ground and upon excavating, found the remains of from 100 - 150 human beings. It is a circular pit eight or nine feet in diameter and perhaps seven feet or more in depth. The bodies had been laid face downwards and with the heads towards the outside of the hole. It is thought an Indian battle had been fought in the area and the remains are the bones of the slain.
   Dr. J.A. Murray, surgeon dentist, is the successor to Patterson and Fenton, Port Perry. Mr. Murray stands well in his profession.
   April 1877
   A meeting was held to discuss the transition of Port Perry from a village to a town. All speakers from Port Perry favoured the proposal, but residents from Prince Albert were unanimous in objecting to their being included within the boundaries of the corporation of the town of Port Perry.
   Township of Cartwright prepares a by-law to authorize the township to aid and assist the Toronto and Ottawa Railway company, by granting a bonus of $20,000. Vote to take place on 21st day of May.
   R. B. Browne, to continue the General Merchandise business following the dissolution of his partnership with A.C. Browne.
   May 1877
   During discussions about the boundaries for the incorporation of Port Perry, Reeve Wright disagreed with boundaries set out by councillor W. Jones, who advocated including all, or as much of Prince Albert as possible.
   Mr. J.V. Thompson, of the Port Perry House, is having that excellent and comfortable hotel thoroughly overhauled, with a large addition for guests.
   Joseph Bigelow, Esq., has commenced the erection of a magnificent residence on handsome ground north east of the School buildings and facing on Cochrane St.
   The by-law granting a bonus of $20,000 by the Municipality of Cartwright towards the construction of the Toronto and Ottawa Railway was carried by a handsome majority.
   Mr. D. Ledingham, employed at the Bigelow and Trounce saw mill at the Scugog Bridge, lost his arm when it came in contact with the circular saw blade.
   Commencing the 1st day of June, the entrance to Beechenhurst, Dr. Sangster's residence, will be by the new street lately opened, and not by the 7th Concession line as formerly.
   Messrs. Kennedy and Hoitt are getting materials together for the erection of an extensive new steam Flouring Mill on Perry St.
   June 1877
   At a session of County Council, the Reeves of Reach and Scugog were appointed commissioners to examine the Scugog Bridge and to make such repairs in way of planking as they deem necessary.
   Township clerks in 1877: Wm. M. Cochrane, Port Perry; John Christie, Reach; John Foy, Scugog and William Lucas, Cartwright.
   Vote on "Grouping By-Law", which groups Pickering, Reach, Scugog and Port Perry for the granting of $90,000 toward construction of the proposed Toronto and Ottawa Railway to take place on June 21, 1877.
   Liquor Licences issued for 1877 - Port Perry, four hotels, two stores, for a total of $900. In Reach Twp., eight hotels paid $620 in licence fees.
   July 1877
   Mr. Wm. Currie has entered into partnership with his brother-in law, Mr. J. H. Brown, Port Perry.
   The grouping by-law granting $90,000 to the construction of the Toronto - Ottawa Railway was voted on and carried by a majority of 273 votes.
   Messrs. McKitrick & Sanders have refitted and renovated the Manchester Flouring Mills.
   Excursions on Lake Scugog are almost a daily occurence, but on Tuesday one of the popular excursions of the season was had from Port Perry to Washburn Island under the auspices of the United Temperance Association, Prince Albert.
   The northern headquarter of the PW & PP Railway being moved from Port Perry to Lindsay, necessities the removal of station master J.D. Hunter and conductor S. K. McCaw to Lindsay.
   The Prince Albert Post Office is moved to new premises opposite Mr. Goodfellow's establishment.
   August 1877
   W. Tummonds purchases the block on Queen St. opposite the Post Office and opened a General Grocery, Flour and Feed business.
   The Church of England, Port Perry held their anniversary picnic at Ambleside, the magnificent residence of John Adams, on the summit of the gently rising ground on Scugog Island.
   On a motion of Mr. W. Jones, the Street Commissioner was instructed to impound all horses, swine and geese running at large on the streets of the municipality.
   A new board sidewalk is being built from the village of Prince Albert to the railway station.
   September 1877
   A fire in Williamsburg, Cartwright, devoured John McKercher's Carding Mill, despite efforts of willing hands. St. John's Church and T. H. Mason's buildings were threatened by the fiery monster, but were saved by active defenders.
   October 1877
   Passengers at Seagrave and Sonya train stations complain about the train whistling by, leaving over 100 people waiting for another train to take them to Lindsay for the Central Fair.
   Council complains of the slovenly condition in which the agricultural hall and grounds are kept by the proprietor.
   Reeve Wright said the time is favorable to secure a public park and a suitable spot could be had on the Crandell estate.
   An auction sale of over 50 town lots, the property of the Crandell Estate, takes place Oct. 26, 27. Lots located on Ella, Crandell, Caleb, Scugog and Elgin streets.
   J.H. Beers & Co's Historical Atlas of the County of Ontario is published.
   The new M.E. Church, Pleasant Point, was dedicated Sunday last.
   November 1877
   The Port Perry branch of the Ontario Bank has established a savings department in connection with the branch, with deposits of $5 or over allowed interest.
   Mr. N.E. Briggs has opened classes in Prince Albert for giving instruction in the indispensible art of penmanship. Mr. Briggs is an accomplished penman and successful instructor.
   Joshua Wright has purchased the Sexton Mill property in Port Perry and is having it thoroughly fitted up as a tannery.
   Mr. J.V. Thompson of the Port Perry House, and others, call the attention of council to the present unsafe conditions of the municipality in the event of a fire in the village.
   A call for the lowering of the water of Lake Scugog to release 100,000 acres of land submerged by the Lindsay dam.
   Laing & Meharry, the enterprising Hardware Merchants, Port Perry, are putting a large addition to their premises.
   December 1877
   The agitation for the drainage of the Scugog culminated in a monster meeting held in the Town Hall, Port Perry. Speakers, including Geo. Currie, Jos. Bigelow, W.M. Jones, Major Forman, M. Paxton, all spoke of the importance of the lake.
   At a meeting of council to discuss fire protection, the committee recommended the purchase of an additional 300 feet of hose, the purchase of a steam fire engine or the erecting of suitable waterworks for the protection of the village in case of fire.

   January 1878
   Engineers for the Toronto to Ottawa Railway were in town mapping out the route. They are considering two different routes through the township.
   Port Perry returns Joshua Wright as Reeve; Scugog Twp. Reeve Jas. Graham and council acclaimed; Reach Twp. Mr. Geo. St. John elected Reeve.
   T.C. Paxton appointed secretary of the Port Perry United School Section. A total of 503 students registered for public school during 1877.
   A fire company organized to consist of 25 men with Mr. Mark Currie as chief engineer. When on duty at a fire, men will received 50 cents for service under one hour or more each man receives $1.
   February 1878
   A by-law was introduced at Port Perry council to raise by way of loan, the sum of $4,000 for the purpose of purchasing a Steam Fire Engine and hose.
   The capacity of the magnificent Town Hall was pretty well tried in accommodating all that longed for the law for the last session of the Division Court. Justice flowed down the hall in a stream.
   Col. Wallace visited Port Perry to find a suitable place to erect a drill shed. The government intends to removed the drill shed from Prince Albert. The lot west of the Town Hall was discussed.
   Mr. J.V. Thompson, worthy host of the Thompson House, is having material brought in for the erection of a couple of stores.
   The Reach and Scugog Agricultural Society has just been incorporated, so that it now has legal status.
   March 1878
   Two sons of J. Latimer, of Cadmus, died 20 minutes after being mistakenly given arsenic powder by their mother, who thought it was worm powder.
   Port Perry debentures for 1878 include - School Buildings $12,000, Town Hall $10,000, Railway Extension $20,000.
   The Port Perry by-law for raising $4000 for the purchase of a steam fire engine was defeated by a majority of 52, of the 150 votes cast.
   Scugog Lake shook off its icy mantle on the 17th inst., nearly a month earlier than usual.
   Aaron Ross, Esq., was thrown from his buggy and was badly injured in the fall. Drs. Ware and Sangster were summoned to attend him.
   C.W. Jones has re-entered business with W.M. Jones under the old and familiar name of Jones Brothers.
   April 1878
   The first inward bound vessel for the new season came into Port Perry on April 1st, the fast sailing steamship Lady Ida with Capt. Dyer commanding.
   Mr. Rolph and Dr. Sangster presented a petition from about 100 residents asking for a suitable sidewalk be laid along Beech St. to the open waters of Lake Scugog.
   J. Ianson offers for sale his Manchester Grist and Flour Mill, premises and 42 acres of land.
   A severe storm passed through the village on the 24th instance causing quite a wreck. The eighty foot C.M. Church steeple was twisted off and thrown to the ground and a new house was blown to pieces during the storm.
   May 1878
   The annual meeting of the Grand Division of the Sons of Temperance for the Province of Ontario was held in the Town Hall, Port Perry.
   The firm of Rose & Weifenback have established a Marble Works in Port Perry for supply of monuments, tombstones and other ornaments.
   Lively times - workmen are busy erecting new buildings. Mr. Hiscocks has just moved into his handsome new store, Mr. Thompson's new structure is being pushed and will be an ornament to the village, and Mr. Wright, the Reeve of the village is erecting one of the most commodious tanneries in the province.
   Mr. Dennison, proprietor of the Nonquon House at Seagrave is repairing that fine hotel with new floors and shed.
   June 1878
   Tenders were let for 600 feet of permanent roadway to replace that portion of the bridge known as Scugog Bridge by commissioners J. Graham, J. Wright, and G. Wheler.
   Partnership of John Nott and his son W.J. Nott is dissolved. W.J. Nott to continue the business as Cabinet Maker, Upholsterer and Undertaker.
   The merchants of Port Perry have determined to close their establishments at 7:30 each evening, except Saturday.
   Port Perry was selected by the militia authorities of the 34th battalion as the location for the annual drill. The officers and invited guests, numbering 70, sat down to a sumptuous dinner at the Walker House hotel.
   July 1878
   Celebrations in Port Perry and Prince Albert for Dominion Day were quiet, with little being done to celebrate the occasion.
   A regatta was held at the lakefront in Port Perry, which may be regarded as the initiative for a regular annual event.
   The ever startling alarm of fire! fire! was heard about 10:30 p.m as the elevator of Mrs. Gordon, opposite the railway station was found burning in every direction. The building and grain were totally lost with insurance on the building at $800, the machinery, scales etc. $700 and the grain, which was owned by Geo. Currie, at $14,400.
   The opening of tenders for the construction of 600 feet of permanent roadway on the east end of Scugog Bridge. Commissioners, Wright, Wheler and Graham met at the Town Hall at 2 p.m. and opened the tenders when it was found that Mr. Dyer had tendered at $4,300, Mr. Yarnold $2,500 and Mr. J. Ireland $2,350. The contract was awarded to Mr. Yarnold who proceeds at once with the work and is bound to have it done within a couple of months. Mr. Yarnold is an experienced engineer and will doubtless make good work.
   Construction in Port Perry is being pushed ahead with great energy and enterprise. Joshua Wright, our worthy Reeve is erecting a large new tannery, Mr. Irvine's new Pump Factory is almost completed, Mr. Swan has moved his first-class Blacksmith shop to larger premises, Mr. Thompson's magnificent new block is progressing finely. The residences of Mr. Corrigan, Mr. Trounce, Mr. J.H. Brown, Mr. Irvin and Mr. N. Houck are progressing favorably.
   August 1878
   Greenbank Presbyterians have erected a handsome brick place of worship in the village.
   Lightning struck the house of Mr. Wright, Prince Albert, entering one room and rendering Mrs. Wright's uncle unconscious for twenty minutes.
   The North Ontario County Model School, was opened in Port Perry for the training of teachers for the next term.
   The Crandell Estate throws more of that property on the market, thus allowing parties an opportunity of securing valuable town or park lots in the most desirable locations in this thriving town.
   Mr. E. Worthington has sold out his entire business to Mr. John L. Watkis.
   The North Ontario Observer announced it was about to move to a new office in Thompson's handsome new brick block, opposite the Ontario Bank.
   September 1878
   The Grand Excursion and picnic of L.O.L No. 223, Port Perry, left the wharf at 9 a.m. aboard the Anglo Saxon and her two accompanying flat boats steering a course for Washburn Island, with Windsor's Quadrille Band adding to the pleasure of the excursion.
   Mr. D. Urquhart is offering for sale his magnificent new residence on Queen St. It is one of the most handsome, best located, convenient brick residents in the village.
   October 1878
   Port Perry was host to the North Ontario Agricultural Society fall show.
   The barn of Robert Howsam, lot 1 in the 4th conc. of Reach, with all its contents was destroyed by fire. The barn contained 600 bushels of unthrashed oats.
   November 1878
   Reeve J. Wright received a letter from the Reeve of Darlington relating to the proposed union of the municipalities of Darlington and Cartwright with the County of Ontario for municipal purposes.
   Mr. Leonard asked council to lay a sidewalk to his property on Perry St.
   The new Greenbank Presbyterian Church held its Dedication Day on Sunday with many hundreds of people assembled.
   Mr. Morgan's handsome new two storey block, situated on Queen Street immediately east of the Ontario Bank, has just been completed and the proprietor is moving in.
   The Division Court for Reach, Port Perry and Scugog was held in the Town Hall, Port Perry, with His Honour Judge Dartnell presiding.
   An application is made to the Parliament of Ontario by Toronto men to construct an embankment or solid roadway across Lake Scugog near Port Perry to shore at the Township of Scugog. The applicants propose to drain the property south of the embankment and reclaim the lands.
   December 1878
   The barn, stable, horses, implements and feed of Mr. Donald Christie, south of Utica were destroyed by fire while he was in Port Perry attending the St. Andrew's Festival.
   A Literacy Club was formed at Prince Albert, with Mr. Holman president, Mr. A. Bongar Secretary-Treasurer, and Mr. Langdon reporter.
   One of Prince Albert's esteemed residents, Mr. John Heard was honoured at a public supper.
   An enterprising company has secured the large shed on the Agricultural Grounds, Port Perry, and are flooding it for a skating rink this season.
   The cost of new buildings completed in Port Perry during the year 1878 will exceed $60,000.
   The students of the second session of the Port Perry Model School, 1878, thank principal Alex M. Rae for his intellectual efforts.

   January 1879
   The Sons of England held a celebration in the Railway House, Port Perry, on New Year's eve. This is the first public celebration of the group.
   Port Perry, Scugog and Cartwright all return their Reeves by acclamation, Joshua Wright, James Graham and Taylor. Reach Twp. elected Peter Christie over Mowbray by a vote of 424 to 179.
   The Lorne Skating Rink at the fair grounds is a splendid place, finely lighted up every evening, except Sunday, for pleasing and healthful recreation.
   Reach Reeve Peter Christie and Clerk John Christie signed the bill to allow an embankment to be built from Reach to Scugog Island. The embankment to be south of the bridge now known as the Scugog Bridge, no part more than six rods from the bridge.
   Scugog Reeve James Graham was elected Warden of the County of Ontario.
   February 1879
   John L. Watkis is erecting a large ice-house capable of holding 200 tons of pure ice.
   Charles Marsh was elected chairman of the Board of Trustees for the High and Public School, Port Perry.
   March 1879
   Five rail cars were thrown over an embankment, three miles south of Manchester, after encountering a broken rail. Three men miraculously escaped injury.
   Quick work by fire captain Currie and his men, Messrs. Kennedy, Phillipo and Crandell averted a serious fire at the Port Perry Tannery
   April 1879
   Mr. D. Ledingham, the founder, chief promoter and superintendent of the Sabbath School, was presented a writing desk from the teachers and scholars of the Church of Ascension.
   The Spring Show of the Reach, Port Perry and Scugog Agricultural Society was held at Manchester.
   Mr. George McDermot has opened in Thompson's brick block, west of the Thompson House, and has fitted it up as a general grocery and provision store.
   May 1879
   Councillors Major and Stewart Bruce, have purchased for the village a scraper so constructed that by once passing over the street takes down raised portions and fills holes, so the street becomes perfectly level.
   A meeting of the Teacher's Association for the County of Ontario met at the High School, Port Perry.
   The Walker House hotel has completed expensive renovations which provide increased accommodation in both extent and style. Proprietor Mr. W.B. McGaw has also enlarged the stables and sheds providing unequalled accommodation anywhere in the county.
   Council instructed the village constable to impound milk cows, horses, cattle, hogs and geese found running at large upon the streets of Port Perry between 8 o'clock in the evening and 7 o'clock in the morning.
   The Anglo-American Hotel in Prince Albert, owned by Mr. Park, is undergoing a thorough repair, re-painting and outfitting.
   June 1879
   Flowers and valuable plant pots are being stolen from the silent tombs of loved ones at Pine Grove Cemetery, Prince Albert.
   A committee of County Council made an official inspection of the now famous Scugog Bridge, as to its present condition and immediate requirements.
   A report from Mr. Rowland, chairman of the special committee on the matter of the Scugog Bridge to County Council recommended the completion of the work and the appointment of Reeve Wright of Port Perry, and Messrs. John Adams and Mark Currie. When asked if he had any idea as to what it would cost to complete the work, the chairman replied that he had not the slightest idea.
   July 1879
   The induction of the Rev. Hugh Crozier into the pastorate of the Presbyterian Church of Prince Albert and Port Perry took place in Port Perry. He replaces Rev. E.R. Young.
   Mr. Tate of the firm of Paxton & Tate of Port Perry, and his wife were injured when their buggy overturned plunging them heavily to the side of the road.
   August 1879
   B.J. Thorne, Esq. one of the town's most reliable and honorable Dry Goods merchants is moving to Port Hope to enter into business.
   A fire discovered on the highest point of the village, about two o'clock in the morning, was found to be the barns and stables of Mr. Prince. The loss will be considerable.
   Mr. Isaac J. Davis, due to failing health, retired from his grocery and liquor business, selling out to Mr. W.B. McGaw, of the Walker House.
   The first demonstration of a steam thresher took place on the property of Mr. Harper, 5th conc. Reach. The steam thresher is a move far in the right direction.
   John Currie opens a new lumber yard with his office and yard located near the elevator, Port Perry.
   September 1879
   Port Perry council set its budget for the coming year at $7,999. Of this $2,238 was for the public school and $1,500 for the high school
   Council appointed Mr. Ledingham as night watchman for the village at a salary of $1 per night.
   The Pullman Company's "Humpty Dumpty Show" packed the canvas at Port Perry on the17th inst. Highlight was the daring gymnast Mons. Allen, who performed on his aerial perch high in the sky over the village, suspended from the monster balloon "Excelsior"
   A substantial new bridge has been erected over the creek on the gravel road on the western boundary of Port Perry.
   October 1879
   J. V. Thompson offers for rent, his first class hotel - Port Perry House - due to his ailing health and being advised to retire.
   Council rescinds the motion which appointed Mr. Ledingham as a night watchman for the village. The clerk is instructed to notify Mr. Ledingham that his services are no longer required.
   The fall show of the North Ontario East District Agricultural Society was held at the agricultural grounds, Uxbridge.
   November 1879
   An early freeze on Lake Scugog prompted a Port Perry High School pupil to walk across the lake from Scugog Island to Port Perry on the ice.
   Large quantities of valuable products, including cattle, horses, sheep and fine grain, are being regularly shipped from the Port Perry railway station.
   Thieves made off with ten fine turkeys from Geo. Jackson's place, East Settlement.
   Mr. John Ruddy, of Brock, has taken over as the new tenant of the Port Perry House. Mr. Thompson has moved to Greenbank to secure relaxation from the rush of business.
   Mr. Clement Dawes, one of our most energetic and respected townsmen, is moving to Whitby, where he is proprietor of the Ontario Hotel.
   December 1879
   Mr. A.M. Pentland, chemist and druggist, Bigelow's Block, has sold out his business to Mr. C.C. McGlashan.
   Mr. Wm. Letcher has built a most commodious rink on the ice at the foot of Queen St., and the skating rink at the Agricultural Hall has been flooded and prepared.
   Edward Major offers himself as a candidate for Reeve of the Village of Port Perry in the coming election.

Return to the Top | Return to Timelines Index


By: Paul Arculus


By: J. Peter Hvidsten

A Century of Progress
By: J. Peter Hvidsten