Council - Reeve Robt. Somerville acclaimed; Councillors W.W. Crosier, James McKee,
J.E. Jackson, Norman Ewers.
Major-General MacBrien visits Canadian Legion in Port Perry where a banquet was
held in his honor.
Ethel Henrietta Kent, wife of owner Mr. Fred Kent passes away at her home in Port
Peter Christie was presented a beautiful cabinet by his fellow workers on the
Royal Winter Fair Board.
The town market is to be moved to the Town Hall starting next month.
George Hull takes over as postmaster at Port Perry post office from Mrs. Orde,
who has carried on since the death of her father John W. Burnham one year ago.
Reeve Robt. Somerville named chairman of the Pension Board for Ontario County.
Receives $5 per day and 5c. per mile for services.
Mrs. Z. M. Jackson elected Chairman of the Board of Education, and Mr. R.B. Smallman,
W.R. Willan, tailor, goes out of business.
Bylaw fixes speed limit within corporation at 20 miles per hour. Five dollars
and costs for violation.
Port Perry Milling and Lumber Company announces it will conduct business only
The Uxbridge Journal and the North Ontario Times merge under owner Harold Cave
to become the Uxbridge Times-Journal.
Mr. A.J. Davis retires after almost 50 years serving the community and has sold
business to A.M. Lawrence of Oshawa.
Mr. Lewis McLean wins two scholarships.
Longtime coal and lumber merchant Charles L. Vickery dies, and his business goes
up for sale.
Ont. Railway Board refuses appeal to detach certain lands from Corporation Port
Perry and attach to Reach Township.
C. L. Vickery's business is purchased by Mr. Fred Reesor, a well respected citizen
Port Perry Milling Co. is purchased by Mr. Samuel Griffin of Detroit. Business
will be operated as Sam. N. Griffen Lumber Co.
The morning train from Whitby to Lindsay through Port Perry will remain at least
until the end of June.
At the urging of the Lake Scugog Improvement Assoc., the municipality instructed
owners of buildings or boat houses along the waterfront at the foot of Mary St.,
to remove them at once.
Toronto firm advertises for machine operators and women to work on ladies' clothing,
in soon to be opened Port Perry operation.
Oshawa law firm of A.W.S. Greer and R. D. Humphreys opens branch office in McCaw
Block on Queen St.
Half day holiday Wednesday afternoons starts in town.
Agriculture Society holds street dance with George Wade and his Corn Huskers.
Port Perry Dominion Store, operated by Alix Gilboord selling out of business.
Beare Motors becomes an authorized Sunoco Gasoline agent in town.
The Canadian Chautauqua comes to Port Perry for five days.
Mr. Fred Kent decides not to open his gardens at Beechcroft this year as extensive
renovations are being done.
Ottawa sends the "Harwood" to clear weeds from Lake Scugog at Port Perry,
Caesarea and the channels.
Harold R. Archer starts on 3,200 mile trip to Vancouver in a Pontiac car, via
Chicago, accompanied by Murray Williams and expects to make trip in five days.
Tom Bowerman takes trip in beautiful mahogany launch 'The Falcon', which he built,
to owner at Point Au Baril on Georgian Bay.
Robbery at Standard Service Station in Manchester nets thieves about $500.
In order to save money, C.N.R. proposes tri-weekly passenger service between Whitby
and Lindsay. Southbound Mon., Wed., and Fri., and northbound Tues., Thurs., and
Schools postpone opening until Sept. 15 due to the prevalence of infantile paralysis
in the community.
Oshawa Lumber Co. establishes yard at the plant of Swan Brothers with local men
Mr. William Hodgson and Mr. C.V. Gilbert in charge.
Four Toronto men caught raiding Peel's Poultry Farm, knocked out Ronald Peel and
escaped in a car. The thieves were chased by Mr. Peel, Chief Nesbitt and Harold
Archer to Myrtle where the car left the road injuring one. The other three were
placed under arrest.
John Medd wins five first at Victoria County Plowing Match, also silver cup and
silver tea set at Peterborough Plowing Match.
Man sentenced a year in Guelph Reformatory for attempting to rob Peel's Poultry
Farm. Three associates fined $20 each.
The fine brick home of the Curts family, at the corner of Water and Scugog St.,
was totally destroyed by fire.
Council decides to accept tenders for the position of a night watchman for the
Chicken stealing becoming a problem. Russell Wray, north of Honey's Corner reports
thieves steal more than 700 roosters, pullets and geese.
Man charged with stealing chickens from Sinclair Robertson sentenced to 22 months
at Guelph Reformatory.
County Council takes first steps to have an overhead bridge up at the railway
crossing just north of Raglan.
The 65 year old 'Yellow Schoolhouse' north of Port Perry burned to the ground,
but the teacher's desk and some books and maps were saved. Plans underway to build
a modern new school.
Geo. Leask, Seagrave wins many prizes with his shorthorns at the Royal.
Mr. William Corrin retires after 45 years service to the Port Perry Fire Brigade.
One of Port Perry's oldest, most beloved and respected citizens, Mrs. James Carnegie
died on Sat., December 13 at the age of 83.
Port Perry Reeve - Robert Somerville; Councillors - W.M. Letcher, H.R. Archer,
Jas. McKee, J. Weir.
Seven boys were badly burned at a cottage on Honey's Point after they entered
a boat house and started a fire in a stove. The boat house and the boat were
completely destroyed in the fire. Injured were three Wallaces', two Simms',
a Mills and a Goldfield boy.
Arguments for daily railway service to Port Perry fall on deaf ears, tri-weekly
train service to start immediately.
Mr. Stratton named as principal of Port Perry Public School after Mr. Clarence
Werner resigns to take a position in Hamilton.
A building at the rear of Carnegie Hardware was totally destroyed by fire Jan.
17, 1931. The former livery stable was home to the Ford dealership of Carnegie
Motor Sales. A number of new Model T Fords were lost in the $8,000 blaze.
Board of Railway Commissioners order the return of the daily train from Whitby
to Port Perry and Lindsay.
Complaints of low water levels on Lake Scugog and that stoplogs being out at
Trains, autos and busses were at a standstill for two days as the worst storm
in years dumped snow on the area. Local businessmen worked in shifts to help
road crews open road to Manchester.
Popular cartoonist Jimmy Frise comes home to give one of his popular cartoon
talks at the Presbyterian Church.
Chief Thomas Marsden, of the Scugog Island Mississaugas, passed into the Great
Beyond. He had held the office of Chief for the past five years.
R.M. Holtby, invited to judge Holstein cattle at the National Dairy Show in
St. Louis, Missouri.
Mr. J.W. Crozier opens Law office above Observer office.
Ontario County Sheriff Paxton will retire in July after 44 years of faithful
service to the county. Sheriff Paxton was born in Port Perry and lived here
until one year ago was failing in his health.
H. G. Hutcheson recipient of handsome gift by staff as he retires as bank manager.
Roy Cornish engaged by the Board of Education to teach the Third Book in the
Public School at a salary of $1000 per year.
George Jackson, auctioneer, one of Port Perry's best known and loved residents
Letter is received from District Medical Officer of Health, regarding "numerous
installations by individual property owners contrary to the provisions of the
Health Act...in that the effluents from septic tanks, kitchen sinks, etc. are
being passed directly into open ditches. Action will be taken by the M.O.H.
Mr. George Stone, well known and outstanding teacher for 40 years at P.P.H.S.
Gen. Jas MacBrien is appointed to head the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
The town bell is repaired and ringing again.
Dr. Jas A. Mathers has sold practice to Dr. W.S. Harper of Madoc.
The corner of the road approaching the causeway has been cut back giving a much
better view (corner of Water and Scugog).
Sutcliffe & Son, operated by Miss Ida Downer, is selling out and moving
to Lindsay. Jas McKee & Son have purchased the Sutcliffe store and are moving.
L.W. Nelson, well known drygoods merchant in Bowmanville and Oshawa, opens a
drygoods store in Port Perry.
A new cottage under construction, by Harold Archer at Lakeside Beach was totally
destroyed by fire of unknown origin.
Unveil memorial window in Prince Albert Church, in memory of the late Rev. S.C.
Philip and late Rev. S.C. Philip, Jr.
St. John's Presbyterian Church celebrates its 75th anniversary.
Toronto visitor suggests Port Perry build a new library, in keeping with the
community spirit of other things in the town.
Mr. Harry Nasmith appointed clerk-treasurer of the village, following the resignation
of Mr. E.H. Purdy, at a salary of $1200.
I.R. Bentley Jeweler and Optometrist, celebrates his 15th anniversary in business
in Port Perry.
Sam N. Griffen, owner of Griffen Lumber, Coke and Wood co. appointed distributor
agent for Ontario Shore Gas Company.
Railway announces no passenger trains will run the Whitby to Lindsay line on
Mondays and Thursdays.
Gerrow's Bakery with new windows recently installed at the store.
A Gilboord of Port Perry Dominion Store announces he will close store.
Reeve - Robt. Somerville. Only two men qualify for council - need another nomination
meeting to fill seats. Following a 2nd nomination meeting W.M. Letcher and F.E.
Reesor qualified and were elected.
Grant Christie Reach Twp. Reeve.
Flt.-Lieut. G.R. Howsam, Staff Officer of Civil Government Air Operations, Department
of National Defence, promoted to Squadron Leader.
Robt. Somerville of Port Perry, elected Warden of Ontario County.
Tom Bowerman commissioned to build a beautiful mahogany gasoline launch for
Mr. Claude Pearce of Toronto. This will be the second mahogany launch he has
Sam N. Griffen Lumber Co. has stored 10,000 cakes of ice (estimated weight one
million pounds) this year to keep things cool this summer.
Tax rate set a 53 mills for 1932 with provisions to pay in two installments.
Mr. T.W. McLean retired from the Library Board after serving for 17 years in
the offices of secretary and chairman.
Alix Gilboord re-opens his Dominion Store.
Mr. Robert Sommerville was honored at a banquet at the Sebert House, on his
election as Warden of the County.
Mr. A.J. Davis, former owner of Davis Drug Store, passes.
John Ross Roach, played brilliantly in net for the New York Rangers, but it
wasn't enough to stop the Toronto Maple Leafs who won the Stanley Cup.
New fishing regulation forbids fishing mudcats from a boat or raft, until the
regular fishing season opens.
Mr. Jas. Boe appointed the local Ford Dealer.
More cleaning up of the lake front.
The Horticultural Society has had more of the junk piles removed from south
of Reesor coal sheds and asks the citizens not to dump there.
Plans to improve tennis court, located next to Town Hall, with new method of
marking to be tried.
Mr. Geo. Hall has moved his restaurant business to the premises recently vacated
by Carnegie Motors.
T.W. McLean, former public school principal, died.
E. Norman opens shoe repair in Blong Blk.
Thora Kaufman, Alice Hayden, Frances Christy and Marjorie Real all receive their
nurses caps after training at St. Michael's Hospital.
Al Marie Gardens, the summer home of Mr. and Mrs. A.R. Wilson on Scugog closed
to the public during the summer months.
Venture Tea Room re-opened.
Mr. Statton was re-engaged as Principal of the public school at a salary of
Dr. R.B.E. Wilson, physician & Surgeon will open an office in the Leonard
Fishing great this year. Jimmy Frise catches two big 'lunge' and some fine green
bass with his casting rod.
Dr. C. Peterson succeeds Dr. Jeffrey as partner of Dr. Rennie.
Chambers & Son, Bakers & Confectioners, have purchased the business
of E.K. Tuff. Hygenic Bakery.
Port Perry High School opens with 140 students enrolled.
Mr. Geo. Stephens has purchased the Shoe Repair Store of Mr. John Doubt. Mr.
Stephens has worked with Mr. Doubt for 18 years.
Henry Parsons, 94, dies on Sept. 29. For many years he was owner and editor
of the North Ontario Observer, which ceased publication in 1920.
The Presbyterian Churches of Ashburn, Utica and Port have joined under one pastoral
Dr. Herbert Bruce, former Port Perry resident, appointed Lieutenant Governor
Nelson's Drygoods store closed end of month.
Dr. R.B.E. Wilson closes his office in Port Perry.
D.E. Steckley takes over the chiropractic practice of J.A. Heatherington in
the same location.
Reach Council acclaimed. Grant Christie, Reeve; Wm. Parrott, Deputy Reeve; Councillors
W.C. Ashenhurst, A.E. Dobson and Robt. Stanwick.
Jonathon Alldred Reeve of Scugog Twp.
Port Perry Reeve - W.H. Letcher; Council - Fred Reesor, J. Weir, Harold Archer
and Ted Jackson.
A.M. Lawrence starts an experimental lending library.
Chamber's & Sons Bakery moves business to the Nelson Block at the corner
of Water and Queen St.
Port Perry Dominion Store (Alix Gilboord) moving to Nelson Store, who recently
Port Perry Star offers free advertising for exchange and barter only.
History of banking in Port Perry, Royal Canadian, failed 1868; Ontario, withdrew
1888; Central, failed 1887 (open only short time); Western, absorbed by Standard
1909 (opened 1888); Commerce, open 1898; Standard took over Western 1909 and
absorbed by Commerce 1928; Royal open 1928, withdrew 1932.
Bd. of Education makes cuts in salaries to public school teachers and caretaker
Mr. S.M. Newton, former owner of the Port Perry Standard, died at his home in
Prince Rupert, B.C.
Members of the Fire Brigade make a presentation to Fire Chief W. MacGregor for
his many years service to the community.
Every effort made to cut school expenditures, rate down 1-1/2 mills.
Due to overcrowded conditions of the primary classes at the public school, new
students only accepted until September.
A big Boot and Shoe Sale at J.F. McClintock's store.
Committee formed to begin fund raising for much needed repairs and improvements
to the stage at the Town Hall.
Mr. Jas. McKee announces he purchased Burns Grocery in Whitby and is closing
out his business.
Mr. Gordon McKee has taken over the Superior Store and will continue to operate
same after moving to the Royal Bank building.
Miss Elizabeth Allin, former Port Perry student wins Royal Society Fellowship
and $1,500 prize.
H.H. Mulligan has opened an up-to-date Ladies Hairdressing and Barber Shop.
Port Perry Dairy (formerly Hillside Dairy) installs modern pasteurizing equipment
and offers pasteurized milk at no extra cost.
Businessmen's Association formed with Mr. A. L. McDermott elected president;
J.E. Jackson, secretary and Mr. E. Hayes, treasurer.
Port Perry Bottling plant totally destroyed by fire July 18. Some quantities
of sugar, syrup and cases of drinks were rescued and Mr. Murell Goode's new
home is saved.
Business Men's Civic Holiday Sport Day features aquatic sports, track &
field events, ball tournaments and a street dance.
Port Perry Bottling Works temporarily housed in part of the Port Perry Creamery
He will rebuild this fall under supervision of the Coca Cola Company of which
he is affiliated.
The Jas. Swan Building (Carriage Works at the corner of Mary and Perry St.)
to be remodeled for shoe factory owned by W.M. Letcher who purchased Williamson
Shoe Factory of Newmarket.
New roof for Port Perry Schools with a 20 yr. bonded rating.
Ferguson Bros. successor to Jas. McKee.
Mrs. W. Chapman helped avert a robbery at T.J. Widden's Store by alerting Donald
Anderson, who yelled and fired a shot, scaring the robbers off.
A Port Perry Bowling Rink won gold medals at an Ottawa tournament. Members of
the team were William Graham, Armstrong McFarlane, John Murray and Dave Carnegie,
Thieves break into Carnegie Hardware, by prying lock off the front door. Some
Sam Farmer announces his intention to revise and reprint his local history book
"On The Shores Of Scugog," with several new additions.
Work on repairs to the arena underway, with the west side being entirely remodeled
and supports changed to a cement wall to avoid heaving by frost.
Council decides to proceed with laying 3400 feet of water mains on Lilla St.
(Simcoe), Balsam St. and Union Ave, at an estimated cost of $4,000.
An early snowstorm in the area, destroyed 1600 barrels of apples at the farm
of Mr. Pallock.
Work well underway on the new water main extension in town.
A flag pole and Union Jack flag were donated to the Public School by Mr. James
Lucas. R.B. Smallman, Chairman of the Bd. of Education and Roy Cornish, principal
accepted the gift.
Over 500 transients (a nice word for hobos) have been fed in Port Perry and
housed overnight in the Town Hall during 1933. Every home has given away all
possible old clothes. How long can this state of affairs last?
The only store left standing after the big fire of 1884, a frame structure owned
by the late William Tummonds was destroyed by fire. The building was located
beside Beare's Garage.
Grant Christie, Reach Reeve, elected Warden of Ontario County on the second
Joseph Baird, bailiff, died on Jan. 2.
University extension lectures in high school.
John Ross Roach, in net for Syracuse, blocked 51 shots playing with a knee injury
and received the greatest ovations in the history of hockey as he was carried
off the ice.
W.J. Anderson elected chairman of the Port Perry Board of Education, succeeding
Mr. R.B. Smallman. Mr. R.D. Woon, was selected as the new secretary-treasurer,
replacing Mr. W. A. Christy, who died in Jan.
Water mains frozen as temperatures plummet to 30 below zero. Main in front of
Geo. Hall's Restaurant burst, flooding basements and properties.
Mr. Isaac Turner has returned to town and is prepared to do business in furs
Mr. John Murray purchased the Carnegie house next to the lawn bowling green.
Chambers Bakery is selling out to Messrs. Hutchison & Jemison.
Highway to be built on abandoned right of way of Canadian Pacific from Lindsay
to New Nestleton, thence to connect with Hwy. #7 at Port Perry.
Harris and Harris (J.E. & W.H.) have taken into partnership Robert Harris
and Ralph Wallace, the law firm to be known as Harris, Harris & Wallace.
County Council appoints committee to investigate the low water levels on Lake
Messrs. Brooks and Rowland open the Port Perry Custom Hatchery, in the Leonard
Block. They have hatched over 10,000 chicks already this spring.
Tenders were let for the building of the new Public Library in Port Perry.
The municipality begins annual oiling of certain streets within the town.
Mrs. J.W. Burnham received greetings from the graduates of Bishop Strachan School
at its commemoration ceremony in Toronto. Mrs. Burnham was the first pupil to
register when it opened back in the 1860s.
Cartwright celebrates its centennial. Parades, sporting activities, and an address
by Dr. Herbert Bruce, Lieut. Governor of Ontario.
Reports of a 30' sea serpent seen in Lake Scugog. Closer investigation finds
it is a large duck leading a dozen young ducklings in her wake.
Two armed robbers entered the Bank of Commerce just at closing time and tied
up Mr. L.H. Corner and Mr. Harry Major and drove away with $4,200., after stopping
to get ten dollars worth of gas at the Superior Store.
Mr. H.R. Archer has enlarged and improved his garage with a large brick annex
to the workshop.
Lakefront improvement program well underway.
Beare Bros. Garage erecting a 48'x60' addition to garage with grease pit and
other modern conveniences for auto repair.
Bylaw to raise $1,500 by debenture issue for erection of War Memorial Library
passes with good majority. Total cost of library expected to be $5,500.
More than 2,000 people attend the Street Fair and Dance following the most successful
Sports Day yet for the Business Men's Association.
County of Ont. work at improving Cartwright Bridge.
A large crowd gathered Sept. 20 at the remodeled Prince Albert School for its
official opening. The school was moved back from the street and now has a good
Port Perry Public School opens with 170 registrations and the High School with
Neil Gardiner, of Pine Point appointed Game Warden for Lake Scugog district.
Letter from Jim Miller re the editor passing the entrance.
Mr. Cecil E. Beare is at the World's Fair in Chicago as a guest of the Chrysler
Mr. Allan Wallace receives appointment as Justice of the Peace for Port Perry.
Port Perry residents contribute to the car of fruits and vegetables being shipped
to the stricken areas of Saskatchewan.
Cornerstone of the new War Memorial Library laid on Oct. 16 by Mrs. W.H. Harris
during an afternoon ceremony.
Mr. Wm. Webster to carry on harness business of Mr. W.A. Beatty who passed away
Oct. 19., after 55 years in business.
Petition signed by 248 voters presented to council requesting bylaw be submitted
re: the sale of beer and wine in Port Perry.
Mr. and Mrs. E.H. Gerrow of Gerrow's Bakery have moved to Oshawa. The bakery
business will be carried on by sons Mansell and Grant.
McDermott Funeral & Furniture Store has been renovated to provide separate
parts for each service and the funeral section can be transformed into a chapel
in a few minutes. This service will be of great benefit to such as they cannot
hold the funeral service in their home.
A.G. Dowson's trotting horse, Baba Vini, won the grand champion standard bred
horses at the Royal.
Miss Enid Wallace was the Valedictorian at the Port Perry High School Commencement.
Mr. Samuel Farmer's revised book of On The Shores of Scugog comes off the press
and goes on sale for $2.00 per book.
Mr. Arthur Waridel of Saskatchewan makes an offer for the Port Perry Flouring
Mill conditional on securing fixed assists for five years.
Hopkins and Farmer, radio repairs, Westinghouse; Delco plants.
Reeve - W.M. Letcher. Council - H.R. Archer, J.E. Jackson, R.M. Holtby, R.J.
Reach Twp. Reeve Wm. Parrot, Deputy Reeve Wesley Crosier.
Bylaw passed to grant fixed assessment for flour mill in order to get the mill
operating again. Mr. Arthur Waridel, manager .
The fight is on to retain railway service. Reeve Letcher calls an emergency
meeting of Reeves from Brooklin, Whitby Twp., Reach Twp., Scugog Twp. and Mariposa
at the Town Hall in Port Perry.
The Anglican, Presbyterian and United Church reunite to sponsor a preaching
mission with services being held at the United Church.
Lake Scugog Milling Co., operated by Mr. A. Waridel, has been thoroughly renovated
and is ready to do chopping for farmers.
The Uxbridge Skating Rink was totally destroyed by fire.
Work is progressing favorably on the new beautiful War Memorial Library and
it will be completed soon.
Mr. Gordon McDonald, Greenbank, purchased the Standard Garage from Mr. Jas.
Boe and will operate it as McDonald Motors.
Mr. T.J. Widden sells out and closes his business.
H. W. Boynton opens butcher shop in Leonard Block.
Insurance agent H.W. Emmerson moves his office to his home on Bigelow St.
Cephas Sleep announces a general insurance business in Purdy Block. at premises
formerly occupied by Messrs. Adams, Hutcheson and Emmerson.
H.H. Mulligan moves his barber shop to the premises lately vacated by T.J. Widden
in the A.M. Lawrence Block.
Meeting held at the Railway Station in Port Perry between businessmen and representatives
of the railway.
Work underway to change over rural hydro lines to a separate system operated
Port Perry tax reduced by two mills for 1935, being set at 46 mills.
Lawrence Drug Store holds coupon hung. Youngsters were up at daylight to find
coupons and turn them in for Easter eggs.
Stores close May 6 in honor of 25th Anniversary of the King's Coronation.
A vote regarding the sale of beer in standard hotels in Port Perry is postponed
until two months after the by-law is given first and second reading in council.
Businessmen's Association meets at Sebert House and elect H.R. Archer president.
Two business women attend, Mrs. L.G. Hall and Mrs. Pyatt. Banquet prepared by
Mr. and Mrs. Weir.
Hearing held at the Town Hall re: abandonment of the Whitby-Lindsay line of
The War Memorial Library is opened with colorful ceremony. Hon. H.A. Bruce,
Lieut. Governor of Ontario and Mrs. Bruce assisted by Maj. Gen. Jas. MacBrien
perform the ceremony. Both gentlemen are former residents of Port Perry. Maj.-Gen.
MacBrien flew in from Ottawa, landing on Lake Scugog. A Memorial niche and Book
of Remembrance were an important part of the dedication ceremony.
Major General Jas. MacBrien, formerly of Port Perry, is Knighted.
John Farmer sets up radio repair business.
The Port Perry, Reach and Scugog Agriculture Society hold a Street Dance in
front of the Post Office with music by Van Walker's Orchestra.
One of Port Perry's leading citizens, E.H. Purdy, passes. He has held all municipal
offices over the years - Councillor, Reeve, Clerk-Treasurer, Board of Education,
Magistrate and Justice of the Peace.
C.P. Rolph dry cleaning over the Observer Office.
Over the Civic Holiday, large crowds take part in the Port Perry Sports Day.
Over 3,000 turn out for the Caesarea Regatta and Field Day.
Port Perry says "No" 400 to 271 regarding the introduction of liquor
outlets in Port Perry.
Jack-O-Lantern Dance Pavilion on Port Perry Beach.
Mr. R.M. Holtby the unanimous choice of the Reconstruction Party delegates to
be the standard-bearer of the Hon. H.H. Stevens Party in the next federal election.
Liberals win 168 seats in election against 10 other parties: Conservatives,
Social Credit, C.C.F., Independent Liberals, U.F.O., Liberal Progressive, Independent,
Doubtful, Independent Conservative and Reconstruction Parties.
Roy H. Cornish elected president of the South Ontario Teacher's Institute.
Bell's Drygoods opens in the Blong Block, next to the Dominion Store.
Mrs. L.G. Hall opens a ladies ready-to-wear dept. in her millinery store.
Annual Rink meeting called for second time, as there appears to be no interest
shown. Do you want a rink in Port Perry?
Arthur Brock elected president of the Rink Directors at the annual meeting.
Bank of Commerce closes its branch in Blackstock, leaving Cartwright Twp. without
Sam Farmer offers his revised book On The Shores Of Scugog at $1.50 until Christmas.
Regular price $2.00.
Milton Goode moves to Fergus where he has purchased a creamery.
Congegation of Port Perry United Church celebrate its Golden Jubilee with three
days of celebrations.
Millions mourn the death of King George the Fifth who died Monday, Jan. 20,
ending a reign of 25 years. Large crowd attends memorial service held at the
United Church, including the public school children.
Mr. A.B. Cawker elected chairman of the Port Perry Bd. of Education.
Board of Railway Commissioners order the abandonment of railway between Port
Perry and Cresswell. That part between Port and Whitby to be rehabilitated and
continue to operate.
The worst fire in downtown Port Perry in years caused $15,000 damage to Carnegie
Hardware. The fire started at the back and spred to the upper storey and workshop,
causing the roof to fall in. Geo. Hall's Restaurant and Caruso's Fruit Store
also suffered loss from water and smoke.
Fred Bailey removes 20 tons of carp from Lake Scugog, using nets and a barrier
of iron pipes. Carp sold in Toronto.
Floods and storms cause both buses to be stuck in front of Peel's Farm followed
by a string of trucks.
Bellette Beauty Shop opens in Venture Tea Room.
Mr. Thos. Graham, noted farmer of Scugog passes. He was a Reeve of Scugog Twp.
for three years and clerk-treasurer for 28 years.
The Carnegies are busy rebuilding their Hardware store, which was damaged by
fire last month.
Arrangements are completed by which the Port Perry Hospital will be carried
on at the same place.
Mr. Beverley Smallman appointed Instructor of Biology at Western University,
Bd. of Education required $2000 support from Town Council to support the schools.
Board cuts high school teachers' salaries by 10 per cent to make up difference.
Port Perry Star launches huge subscription drive offering a 1936 Chevrolet Coach,
Vacation trip to Hollywood and cash commissions as prizes.
Bell's Drygoods, located next to the Dominion Store, announces they are "Going
Out Of Business."
Thieves break into the offices of Goode's Creamery stealing typewriters, adding
machine, cash register, office equipment, and two 40 lb. boxes of butter.
Mrs. Cephas Sleep and five persons from Toronto trapped in burning boat, rescued
by Ben Smith with a punt who took four elderly people ashore, two younger ones
swam part way and were picked up by cottagers.
Port Perry Businessmen elect M.A. Gerrow president at their annual meeting held
at the Sebert House.
W.H. Harris, trustee of the assets of Port Perry Milling Co. offers for sale
waterfront property at the foot of Queen St. 137'x300' including the Dance Pavilion,
refreshment booths and car sheds.
H.G. Hutcheson writes to the newspaper, urging the businessmen and council to
purchase the lakefront property offered for sale for use as a public park.
Harold Edwards, son of Mr. and Mrs. W. Edwards, drowns in Chalk Lake.
Scugog Lakeside Beach Association inaugurates a Regatta and Sports Day, which
they hope to make an annual event.
Public meeting re: road to Peterborough. Nothing really settled.
J.F. McClintock Grocer sells out.
Businessmen take no action on call to help buy lakefront property as no definite
proposal has been made regarding the property.
Mr. Fred Schell requests council to ask Game and Fisheries Department to allow
use of pound nets as a means of catching and freeing the lake of carp.
G.A. Palmer opens Port Perry Groceteria in former McClintock store.
Lorne Beare of Port Perry, leaves for Boston to "try out" for the
Boston Bruins hockey club.
Lake Scugog Lumber & Coal Co. purchases the business of Sam N. Griffen Lumber
Three busloads of students from Port Perry High School travel to Toronto as
guests of the Royal Winter Fair.
King Edward VIII abdicates the throne to marry Mrs. Wallis Simpson.
Council passes bylaw putting the Town Hall under the care of Wm. Nesbitt.
Reeve - W.M. Letcher. Council, J.R. Baird, Geo. H. Bridger, R.M. Holtby, J.E.
Reeve Letcher elected Warden of Ontario County.
Mrs. Zula Mae Jackson retires after 15 years service on the Board of Education,
She is only the second woman to have ever held the position of chairman.
Mr. Fred A. Kent donates 40 volumes of books to the Public Library from his
own private library.
Port Perry Businessmen stage a banquet to honor and publicly recognize Mr. W.M.
Letcher, Warden of Ont. County. Ninety guests packed the dining room at the
Sebert House, including many former Wardens.
With a broken hip received when he fell into a grain bin at the Hogg & Lytle,
Joe Sisson climbed 15 feet out of the bin and then down six flights of narrow
steps to safety.
Businessmen hold their annual meeting, electing A.W. Brock as president. Subjects
discussed included tree planting, improvements of the waterfront, removal of
carp from lake and a proposed Bell Telephone bylaw.
A.M. Lawrence Drug Store undergoes renovations, introducing a clean, open, inviting
look with an 'open dispensary' not to be equaled except in the most advanced
drugstores in the larger centres.
Reeve Letcher announces the lowest tax levy since 1926 with the mill rate being
set at 45 mills.
Strike at General Motors effects local business. Mayor of Oshawa asks for Federal
Coronation of King George VI. Greatest Empire crowns its King.
Telephone History recalls first subscribers in Port Perry. 1855 lists only business
phones, there were no residential phones. S.E. Allison, drug; Ont. Bank, A.
Ross & Sons and W.J. Trounce & Co. flour mill were the first to have
telephones. In 1887 ten phones are listed and only one, a doctor, is a residence.
Wrecking crews are tearing up the railway lines between Port Perry to Manilla.
A meeting of local citizens and politicians took place at Caesarea discussing
the re-stocking of Lake Scugog, and asking the Dept. of Games and Fisheries
to stock the lake with year-old Pickerel fingerlings.
Blackstock United Church celebrates 50th Anniversary.
Waterfront property, consisting of the Dance Pavilion offered to the town for
Port Perry loses an outstanding citizen, with the death of Geo. A. Rose in his
Port Perry 5¢ to $1 Store, proprietor Howard Durkin.
Another good crowd for the Business Men's Sports Day. Thousands join in the
fun with an estimated 3,000 packed on the front street during the street dance
in the evening.
Dr. L. B. Lundy moves his dental office to the McCaw Block, over the Bell Telephone
Old Time Gospel Services held in a Big Tent on the Waridel's Mill grounds for
an entire week.
Reeve W.M. Letcher receives a medal from Buckingham Palace to be worn in commemoration
of Their Majesties Coronation, May 12, 1937.
Goaltender Lorne Beare signs with the Atlantic City Sea Gulls. Has promising
career ahead in the NHL.
Port Perry Drygoods opens for business, operated by Mr. Sam Levinson.
Residents from Cartwright, Manvers, Scugog, Port Perry and Reach packed the
Town Hall to discuss delays in building Provincial Hwy. link from Port Perry
Gordon Sweetman's Garage announces it is selling all stock and accessories and
giving up business.
As loser of an election bet, Doug Frayer pushed Tom Jackson from Caesarea to
Port Perry in a wheelbarrow.
Port Perry business men honor Hon. Gordon D. Conant, Attorney-General of Ontario
at a banquet. Dinner served to 100 guests by Mr. John Weir of the Sebert House.
Lions Club of Port Perry formed with H.G. Hutcheson, P.G. Morrison, sponsors.
Provisional president is Mr. Ernie Hayes.
Negotiations for widening Queen St. on the main business block underway. Utilities
needed moved include hydro poles, water hydrants, telegraph poles, gasoline
pumps and telephone poles.
Thieves break in to McDonald Motors and steal a 1938 Plymouth sedan, $135 in
cash and auto parts.
A.P. McFarlane elected president of the Port Perry Rink Company.
Chief Wm. Nesbitt, Chief Constable in Port Perry since 1917 passed away in his
Poor turnout for Nomination Meeting at Town Hall.
Mr. Frank Gerrow elected Reeve by acclamation in Reach Twp.
Port Perry Reeve - W.M. Letcher.
T.J. Widden, who operated Widden's Corner for 43 years, only retiring five years
ago, passed away in his 81st years.
The Greengrocery Store closes until spring. R. Wakeford, prop.
Port Perry Lions Club receives its Charter on Mon., Jan. 10. at a special banquet
held at the High School auditorium.
Carp on the increase in Lake Scugog at a rate estimated to be 200 tons a year.
Only 50 tons taken out in 1937.
Geo. Hull, Port Perry's genial postmaster, installed a stamp canceling machine
valued at $200 at his personal expense to help give quicker service to the public.
J.F. McClintock moves his seed business to Myrtle Station.
Mr. Mansell Gerrow, elected Chairman of the Board of Education.
The 1938 Ice Carnival is held at the Port Perry Arena. Jean McDermott was crowned
"Queen of the Carnival by Reeve Letcher.
Sir Jas. MacBrien passes in 60th year on March 5th. and is buried in Ottawa
with full military funeral.
Chiropractors of America to erect memorial to Daniel David Palmer, founder.
Town donates site at lakeside park.
Dr. David Archer receives honorary life membership from the Ontario County Medical
W.F. Dobson, Clerk-Treasurer of Reach Twp. for over 30 years, retires. He is
succeeded by Mr. T.J. Sager.
Port Perry Rink Company discusses moving the arena to a new site, repair structure
and enlarge building. The Directors will investigate a new location.
Andy M. Lawrence elected President of the Port Perry Business Men's Association.
Messrs. Caruso and Chapman take over the Greengrocery Store from R. Wakeford
in the Blong Block and will re-open as the Port Perry Fruit Market.
Mr. Waridel is moving the balance of the dance hall off the town lot and it
is making a considerable difference in the appearance of the newly acquired
Dr. J. B. Lundy was elected president of the Durham Dental Society.
Morrison's Drug Store and Jemison's Bakery broken into and robbed by thieves.
Albert Snowden, buys out Gordon Sweetman Garage.
Special arrangements being made for an Ontario Cty. Holstein exhibit at Port
New highway from Port Perry to Peterborough designated by Highways Dept. as
Certain sections of sidewalk being ripped up for Bell Telephone conduit. Hydro
poles to be removed from business section of Queen St. to the back of the stores,
and pavement widened.
Pontiac demonstration car stolen from Archer's Motors by the side door of the
garage. Not discovered missing for 24 hours.
Five people trapped in a burning car, two miles north of Manchester, were rescued
by a passing motorist.
Construction of the new Central Ontario Highway to get started immediately.
Highway, which extends from Sarnia to Montreal, goes through Port Perry and
Constitution and bylaws for the Port Perry Business Men's Assoc. discussed and
Club House of the Port Perry Lawn Bowling Club being remodelled and enlarged.
Lions Club build diving platform at end of government wharf and a triple swing
set at the waterfront park.
Palmer Memorial Park dedicated on July 28. Special programs at Lakeside Park.
Autos from all States in the Union and all parts of Canada made up the motorcade
of Chiropractors who came to dedication of Memorial to Daniel Palmer, founder
of Chiropractic. Heavy rain spoiled much of the planned program.
Powerboat races new feature at Caesarea Regatta. More than 2000 were spellbound
as they watched the thrilling races in the 2.25 class.
Work on the Port Perry to Peterborough Rd. ready to start. The Scugog Bridge
will be widened and the road will go over Ham's Hill, which will be cut down.
Elizabeth Symes, graduate nurse from Port Perry who lives in Oshawa, disappears
from her home. Police from two countries search for pseudo doctor who is believed
have taken her and fled to the United States.
Lowest quote for erection of new 63,800 gallon wooden water tank for Port Perry
was $1,850. from The Ajax Co.
G. F. Manning, sec.-treas. of Port Perry Hydro System announces power to be
shut down on four days, for 10 hours per day, while repairs made to high tension
The Central Ontario Highway road construction contract, from Port Perry to Peterborough
is canceled. Emergency meeting held between politicians and citizens of the
40 affected municipalities at Town Hall. W.M. Letcher chairman.
Prof. A.G. Christie of John Hopkins University, formerly of Manchester, elected
President of American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 1939.
Improvement is made in conveying the water past the back of the United Church,
through the new cement culvert on Queen St. and past the Bowling Green.
A new water tank is being erected at a cost of $1,700. Twenty feet high and
26 feet in diameter.
Following a six week search by police, bogus doctor Albert J. Hubble, was arrested
in Oregon and extradited to Canada to face charges of fraud. His woman companion
was not charged.
Council purchases CNR abandoned railway right-of-way north from the tool house
to the 7th concession for $10.00.
The clothing store of Howard Stone was robbed of about $800 worth of clothing.
Lake Scugog freezes over for the first time this year on Nov. 15.
Mrs. McClintock announces the opening of her beautifully appointed tourist
home, Cricklewood Lodge, on Dec. 2, 1938.
Reeve Letcher elected by acclamation at one of the most poorly attended nomination
meetings in years. Council elected by acclamation - Jos. R. Baird, Geo. H. Bridger,
R.M. Holtby and Fred. E. Reesor.
Mr. Frank Gerrow acclaimed as Reeve in Reach Twp.
Mr. Sam. T. Cawker died on Dec. 15th. He was one of the town's first businessmen,
opening a butcher shop in 1869 and operating it until 20 years ago, when his
sons took it over.
Return to the Top | Return to Timelines Index
Reeve - W.M. Letcher - Council - F.E. Reesor, R.M. Holtby, J.R. Baird, Geo.
The bell tolled and the flag was flown at half-mast as Jas. Lucas, a leading
citizen of Port Perry was laid to rest.
Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Willard celebrate 71 years of married life.
Superb decorations, gorgeous costumes and excellent skating were all part of
the brilliant spectacular Skating Carnival held at the Port Perry Rink.
Port Perry Lions celebrated their first anniversary at a banquet held at the
The Nip and Tuck went off the track just north of Myrtle and it took 14 hours
to get it back on the rails. The next day, it went off the track again in Port
Reach Twp.'s clerk-treasurer T.J. Sager, a former tax collector with the township,
was arrested and charged with embezzlement of $3,000 in township funds. Mr.
Sager was tax collector from 1934-38 and was appointed clerk-treasurer last
Port Perry Business Men's Association elected Harry Peel president at the annual
banquet at the Sebert House.
Mrs. Armstrong MacFarlane was appointed Librarian for the Port Perry Library,
starting in April.
Public Works Department at Ottawa has approved the appropriation of $15,000
for waterfront improvements at Port Perry. All local labor to be used.
Ross Bailey, 17 yr. old son of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Bailey, Cartwright killed
instantly while attempting to adjust mechanism of dump truck.
Scugog Bridge flooded as the water is the highest its been in years.
Special train to take folk to Toronto to see the King and Queen. A day never
to be forgotten by those who went. It was the last trip for Nip 'n Tuck.
Ron Peel of Peel's Poultry Farm was able to meet rush orders to supply 100 capons
for the King and Queen when the Royal Train passed through the area.
Mr. Howard Lilly opens the new Spruce Lawn Dairy Milk Bar.
The Scugog River stocked with 25,000 maskinonge fry.
Prof. Graham Christie, John Hopkins University, receives honorary degree of
Doctor of Engineering, in recognition of his work in steam power production.
The Northern Star, a new hydroplane is invented and built by J.K. Lawrence (brother
of Andy Lawrence). The plane had room for four passengers and the pilot and
could travel on water or snow. It's inaugural trip was on Lake Scugog on July 1st.
Waterfront improvements to include a landing slip north of the wharf and a retaining
Mrs. Nellie MacGregor was honored for her 25 years of service to the Bell Telephone
Prof. A.G. Christie, receives further honors. He has been elected honorary Life
Member of the British Institute of Mechanical Engineers.
Work progressing at the E.G. Michell Tourist Park. Construction of a 30x80 ft.
swimming tank is underway as well as clearing of the land.
A barge and pile driver have been constructed for the lakefront improvements
that are underway.
Britain and France declare war against Germany. Canada to organize two overseas
A young man killed by lightning, while in a boat during violent storm on Lake
E. G. Michell purchases the Port Perry Coal Yard from W.G.W. Pyatt and effects
an amalgamation with the Lake Scugog Lumber and Coal Co. Ltd. Offices will be
in the same place as occupied by Port Perry Coal Yard.
Dr. David Archer died Sept. 20.
Airplane slip and other improvements at waterfront well underway.
Hwy. 7A has been newly surfaced from Port to Taylor's corners.
A new Port Perry Band is formed, with 20 musicians signed up. Mr. Milton Tripp
is the interim bandmaster.
Mr. M.T. Beare receives appointment with Allis Chalmers Rumley Co. Ltd. of Toronto.
His headquarters will be Hanover.
Mr. Vic P. Stouffer resigns his position as choir leader at Port Perry United
Church after 16 years service.
Drainage at the foot of Queen St. is diverted to empty into Lake Scugog at the
end of Mary St.
Town Hall to have roof replaced and tower removed as part of improvements to
the hall. Stage to be enlarged by removing the stairs and wings, and the front
Some businesses operating at the end of 1939 - Port Perry 5¢ to $1 Store;
Kaufman's Billiard Room, Port Perry Drygoods (Levinson's); The Venture Tea Room;
The White Kitchen Restaurant, Mulligan's Beauty Shoppe; F.E. Reesor; Dominion
Stores; I.R. Bentley's Jewellery; A.M. Lawrence Drug Store; Gerrow Bros. Bakery;
Royal Cafe; Morrison's Drug Store; Jemison's Bakery; Lake Scugog Lumber &
Coal; Harold Emmerson Insurance; F.W. Brock & Son; W.E. Webster; Cawker's