Old is New Again
The Woodman (above) was the
first steamship to be built and launched on Lake
Scugog. It made its maiden voyage on August 29,
1851 from Port Perry to Lindsay with dignitaries
from Whitby, Oshawa and Toronto on board. It's
prime purpose was to haul logs and lumber from
Lindsay to Port Perry for shippment to markets
to the south.
The new Woodman
was launched during the summer of 2003. Unlike
her counterpart, the Woodman II, was developed
to attract the tourist trade. It began tours on
Lake Scugog in August 2003.
Port Perry's Town Hall was constructed
at the corner of Queen and Lilla St. (Simcoe)
during 1873 and has served the community for more
than 130 years and it continues to be the communities
most imposing historical structure.
A plan is now underway to refurbish
and enlarge the aging old hall. Fundraising has
been underway for a number of years and work is
scheduled to begin in the spring of 2004. Below
are sketches of the buildig with the proposed
NEW MUNICIPAL OFFICE
The central tower of Port Perry's
old Union School built in 1873 and destroyed by
fire in 1926 will be featured on the new Scugog
Township municipal office in construction during
the summer of 2003.
Below, the municipal office in early
2004, with the tower, which has been replicated
to take on the look of the old Union School tower
of more than a century ago. The new muncipal office
was opened in January 2004.
Return to the
Top | Return
to Miscellaneous Index