top of page
Historic Uxbridge Photo Gallery

Photos courtesy the Uxbridge/Scott Museum

This 1910 view of the Uxbridge (Elgin) Pond appears to have been taken in the early Spring, not long after the ice had melted. The road still has a light covering of snow, but two anxious boaters can be seen near the south end where there is still ice on the pond. In the background at right, is the Oatmeal Mill.


William Henry built this impressive block at the corner of Brock and Spruce Streets in 1885. The interior was patterned after Simpson's in Toronto. He later enlarged the block to the east. Unfortunately the attractive landmark building was destroyed by fire in 1902. The old Uxbridge Post Office was built on this same site about 1911, but was torn down in 1971 to make room for a commercial strip.


This picture taken circa 1890 shows the Joseph Gould Institute (Uxbridge Library) near the corner of Brock and Toronto St., with part of the Bell Tower visible behind the building. Of interest are the dirt streets and boardwalks, as well as the bridge linking Toronto St. with the second floor of the Jones Hardware building.

4-Parrish Hdw.jpeg

This picture taken during the 1890s shows the Henry Jones Hardware building with its covered stairway leading to the second floor, which contained about eight small offices and stores. Construction began on this building in Aug. 1885


The historic and distinctive Market Hall was located on the north east corner of Brock and Toronto St., Uxbridge from 1884 until 1955. The Market Building was erected two year afters the original market building was burned to the ground and the lower floor was occupied by numerous tenants over its 70 year history. Uxbridge council held their meetings for many years on the upper level of the building. The aging building was demolished in September 1955 to make way for the block of stores seen on Brock Street today.


This picture taken circa 1890 shows the Joseph Gould Institute (Uxbridge Library) near the corner of Brock and Toronto St., with part of the Bell Tower visible behind the building. Of interest are the dirt streets and boardwalks, as well as the bridge linking Toronto St. with the second floor of the Jones Hardware building.


This view of Market Square, at the corner of Brock and Toronto St., was taken about 1900, looking east along Brock St. The Market Building, at left, was torn down about 1958 and the former Jones Hardware building, at far right of photo, is now the space occupied by the Roxy Theatre.


Oatmeal Mill, former the Gould Mill, looking north across the Uxbridge pond. The old mill, built in 1887 collapsed in a heap on Dec. 24, 1957.


Main St. south, Uxbridge during the late 1800s show the houses along the west side of the street right down to the Brock and Main St. intersection.


It's hard to believe this is what Toronto St., Uxbridge looked like in 1911. The picture was taken at the corner of Toronto and Church St., beside the Presbyterian Church looking north. The Library can be seen at the end of the street. The dirt road, not much wider than a single lane was lined with trees and boulevards providing a beautiful setting coming into town.


This picture, believed to have been taken from the Anglican Church tower during the late 1800s shows Wheler's Pond and the downtown of Uxbridge to the north of the pond. The Bell Tower is at the left and the United Church can be seen near the centre of the picture.


Aerial view of Uxbridge shows the corner of Brock and Toronto St. about 1900, with Library and Bell Tower near centre, buildings along Brock St., and Wheler's pond between Main St. and Toronto St. Photo taken 1919


The first Uxbridge Train Station, about 1871 with a train approaching.


The picture of this attractive block of stores, located on the south side of Brock St., near the coner of Bascom St. was taken about 1895. The businesses at this time included, from left: Cherpaw's Baker, Dr. David Baird, dentist on upper floor, D. McGillivray's drug store and W.H. Vyvyan's tailor shop.


Wheler's Pond, looking south east from behind the stores on Brock St.


The home and barns of Joseph Gould can be seen in this picture taken looking across Wheler's Pond circa 1885. The steeple of the Anglican Church is visible above the trees in centre of the photograph. Today, the Uxbridge Township municipal offices are located where the Gould house used to stand, and the pond has been replaced by Centennial Park .


The elaborate arch was part of the decorations erected on Brock St. for this Uxbridge celebration 1902. The parade was organized by the Loyal Orange Lodge and as the signage indicates, it was attended by a number of lodges from across the province.


The west end of Brock St. about 1925. Stores along the south side of the street at the top of the hill.


Photo taken from just east of the Main St. and Brock St. intersection about 1900. The Arlington Hotel is the building to the left.


A parade marches by the Uxbridge Fire Hall and Police Station in this circa 1900 picture. The Uxbridge Council held their meetings on the upper floor. Building to the right is the North Ontario Times office and a Massey Harris equipment dealer.


This interesting photo from 1919 shows a Ford dealership in downtown Uxbridge on the north side of Brock St. The Bascom House hotel can be seen at far right, and in the centre of photo, with three arched windows is a building known as the Sample Rooms. This building was used by travellers bringing new products to town to show and sell to the local merchants.


Uxbridge had two newspaper during the late 1800s and early 1900s, The Journal and the North Ontario Times. They were imalgamated into the Uxbridge Times-Journal in 1930, after being purchased by Harold Cave. The above photo shows The Times office when it was owned by Albert V. Nolan, who later went on to own the Stouffville Tribune. That's Mr. Nolan standing on the right in the doorway. The building was located at 5 Brock St. W, north side.


Uxbridge ChalmersPresbyterian Church about 1880.


This 1923 pictures shows construction underway on a new High School for Uxbridge. It opened in April 1924 on Third Avenue, and is still used to this day.


The cornerstone for the Uxbridge Methodist Church on First Avenue was laid in 1888 and the church opened for service the following year.


Uxbridge Public School as it looked about 1920. This school was built after the old school was destroyed by fire in 1910.


In 1887 the cornerstone was laied for this impressive English (Anglican) Church on Toronto St. south, Uxbridge. The church was officially opened in April 1888.


In 1920 the Uxbridge Arena Company was formed to build a new arena. The above arena was constructed durng the early 1920s with curling sheets on both sides of the building. This arena, which was located on Marietta St, where the Seniors Centre is today, burned to the ground in February 1935 following a hockey game.

bottom of page