of Scugog Township
The Royal Hotel in downtown Blackstock about 1900
Dewart's Hotel in downtown Blackstock, circa 1885.
Paving the road through Blackstock in 1931.
View of the beach a Caesarea about 1920.
Boats sit in Lake Scugog at Caesarea in this 1914 picture. On the right side of the main street is the Kenosha House hotel and at left, Lakeview House.
View of the main street of Caesarea about 1914 with the Lakeview House at right.
Main Street, Caesarea about 1914. The Kenosha Hotel, left, was owned by Mr. Fred Harran. At right is Lakeview House and the small building at the end of the street was a change house for swimmers.
Kenosha House Hotel in Caesarea, circa 1915. The hotel burned to ground in early morning fire in July 1952 at Caesarea. Eight tourists escape but Mrs. Tilley Harran, 67, wife of proprietor, died after rushing into the hotel to save some valuables.
This is the annex building of Fred Harran's Kenosha House hotel. What is interesting to note here is the different spelling of the name, which shows as "Kynosha" on this building. Photo taken in 1910.
This building was constructed by George Stevenson for a store, and was sold to Wm. Henry Harron, who renamed the store Linton House and took in boarders. (Mrs. Harron had a sister who married a Linton).
The Hiawatha Resort, Caesarea, Ont. near the turn of the century.
Village of Cadmus with the general store to the right early 1900s.
The Cadmus General Store, was operated by J.E. Elliott when this cira 1910 picture was taken.
Mr. J. E. Elliott, owner of the Cadmus General Store and Post Office, on his horse drawn delivery wagon about 1900.
This is a view of Cragg Road, looking east from the village of Greenbank, was taken during the late 1800s. The building to the right is the United Church which was opened as a Methodist Church in December 1896. Cost to build the church at that time was $5,800. Further down the road, near the centre of the picture is the old Temperance Hall built in the 1860s, and where many a lively temperance meeting was held by the Greenbank Division of Sons of Temperance throughout the later part of the 1800s. Just behind the hall can be seen the steeple of the Presybyterian Church. At the far left is a portion of the general store.
The Church of St. Agness (right) at Greenbank was officially opened and held its first service on Sunday, Sept. 27, 1868. The building originally had a bell tower, but was later removed. This 1967 picture (left) shows what the hall looked like after becoming the Greenbank Centennal Hall.
Greenbank Methodist Church, 1909.
During the 1930s there were cabins and a park just north of the four-corners in Greenbank on the west side of the Hwy. #12.
Greenbank School Section #12, located on Conc. 11, Reach Township.
PRINCE ALBERT, ONTARIO
Shareview Farm about the turn of the century, at the south end of Prince Albert, Ontario. The house is now owned by Gerald and Andrea Jones.
Rowan Tree Hall, Prince Albert, the home of T.C. Forman during the 1860s and 1870s, before he moved to Port Perry. The house still stand on the south side of King St., just east of Old Simcoe Rd.
The public school in Prince Albert was built during the 1860s on Jeffrey Street, as a three-room school. In 1934 the school was remodelled, a basement added, and the building moved back from the street. In 1953 talk began about consolidating Prince Albert and Manchester schools to help cope with student demand. The new P.A. public school was officially opened Oct. 17, 1958. The old school was used for about two more years, when the south wing of the school was removed and the building converted into a community centre.
Sketch of the Prince Albert Presbyterian Church, 1861, when the minister was the Rev. R. Monteith.
Crosier's store, (orginally Christian's) in Manchester circa 1920. The store was located on the south west corner of Hwy. 12 and Regional Rd. 21 in the village of Manchester.
S.H. Christian's general store, Manchester as it looked when owned by Crosier's about 1914. This buildings is the same as the photo above, but shows the road which goes to Utica and a farm building at the top of the rise in the road.
Charles Hiscock ran a bakery and confectionary from this Manchester building as early as 1867. He later opened bakeries in Prince Albert and Port Perry.
Manchester, Ont. about 1912. The dirt road shown here runs through the middle of the village and later became part of 7A Highway. Note the cows grazing under the trees at the right of the picture.
The G.T.R. Train Station in Manchester in the early 1900s was located about one mile south of the village of Manchester. Picture shows train arriving from Whitby and points south to pick up passengers and milk buckets. Next stops on the line were Prince Albert and Port Perry before carrying on to Lindsay.
The G.T.R. Train Station in Manchester in the late 1800s. When this photo was taken, the platform in front of the station was still not built and the roof had not been extended to give passengers protection while waiting for the train.
Veale's General Store, about 1910, at Nestleton North.
The Standard Bank of Canada office, located at Nestleton Station, Ont., about 1916. This bank closed out as the Bank of Commerce in 1932 and was used as a hatchery for broiler chickens until it was torn down in the 1940s.
The J.J. Bruce store about 1910. This building buned in November 1950.
Fairview Avenue, Nesteton Station, Ont., 1913
Canadian Pacific Railway constructed a branch railway line from Burketon Junction to Bobcaygeon and it was officially opened for traffic on July 28, 1904. This scene shows the Nestleton Railway Station and grain elevator. Six trains a day used the line, but the tracks were lifted in 1933 and the station house is now a residence.
Looking south from Nestleton Station about 1916.
Seagrave General Store, about 1906, with a horse and buggy and a group of people in front of the store.
The Ocean House, Seagrave was a very important and busy place during the late 1800s, providing all the necessities for travellers and local patrons. Picture below shows the south side of the hotel, near the corner of River and Simcoe St. Like all hotels during this period, with the temperance movement in full swing, the Ocean House had its problems with liquor. In 1898 over two-thirds of the people of Seagrave signed a petition forcing owner Robt. Brown to close down his bar, the last to do so in the County of Ontario.
This early picture of the Seagrave United Church was taken about 1906.
The Scugog Island General store about 1930. The road now leads to the Great Blue Heron Casino.
Gordon Tetlow stands in front of the John L. Sweeman delivery truck at the Scugog Island General store about 1942.
Utica, Ont. Memory Hall was constructed in 1899 and was located on the southwest corner of the village. It was destroyed by a devastating fire on Saturday afternoon, April 9, 1955. The hall had been constructed as a gift to the community by a former Utica resident, Thomas W. Horn.
The girls of the Utica Bluebird Club are seen in this picture standing in front of the Utica 'Red & White' store during the summer of 1937. The store was owned by Charles W. Lackey at this time and a number of men can be seen standing around outside the store.
Picture taken in front of Dafoe's Hotel, Utica. Front left, Irene (Mrs. Clarence Pollard), Mary Ann McKay, Mrs. Lottie Woodcock, _______, James E. Buck, Mrs. James E. Buck, Edith (Mrs. Hodson). Middle Row, Allen Buck, Aggie buck, Bertha McKay, _______, _____ Woodcock, Beatrice Gardener, _______,,Woodcock boy, ______ Hodson, _______ Woodcock girl. Anyone knowing any of the others please contact Observer Publishing.
The Bluebird Club pose for a picture outside the Utica Memory Hall about 1937 before leaving for a weekend trip north. Back left, Marion Kendall, Gladys Harper, Helen Hortop, Jessie Walker. Centre left, Ann Kerry, Lil Lakey, Mrs. Fred (Margaret) Ballard, Ruth Payne, Dora Geer. Far left, Annie Christie. Front left, Marion Locke, Mrs. Earl (Margaret) Ballard, Muriel Kerry, Eileen Harper, Ruth Mitchell and Maude Smith.
Photo courtesy Darlene Christie.