George Crandell was born in Reach Twp. in 1828. He wasthe second son of Reuben and Catherine Crandell, the first white settlers in the township.
By the time he was 18 years old, he began showing interest in boats, and in 1845 helped his father build the Firefly, a crude packet which was propelled by oars and sails. This experience whet his appetite for shipping and when he heard of plans to build a large steamship, the Woodman, at Port Perry, he was hired to help in its construction, and later became a member of its crew when it was launched in 1850. He built and launched his first boat, the Lady Ida in 1861.
George Crandell was married to Henrietta (Hopper) while still living in Port Perry, and they raised five children, Gertrude, Arthur, G.A., Marjorie and Hilda. In 1866 he moved his family to Lindsay, which had become a more strategic centre for shipping than Port Perry, and here they lived for the remainder of his life.
By 1869 the ambitious young Crandell had built four steamships, and was owner and operator of the largest and busiest fleet of ship in the Central Lakes. His crowning achievement came in 1891 with the launching of the Crandella, the largest passenger carrying steamship in the Kawarthas.
Capt. Crandell was described as one of the most rugged and active persons the area had every known. His passion was steamboating, and he indulged in it with so much enthusiasm, he was credited for much of the development of navigation in the area.
He was considered one of the most forceful, persistent and picturesque figures in Lindsay's municipal history, serving over 30 years on the local council. He loved his adopted town and each winter, when not busy with his steamships, he constructed homes. During his lifetime in the town, he built close to 100 houses.
Towards the close of the 1901 Capt. George Crandell retired, almost 50 years after the his maiden voyage on the Woodman. Including his early days aboard sail and oar powered vessels, he had spent 57 years of service on Lake Scugog and the Kawarthas.
George Crandell died on Friday, January 21, 1904, while out shoveling snow in front of his home. He was 76 years of age. The entire town mourned his passing as he was laid to rest at Riverside Cemetery, Lindsay.
Reuben Crandell was born in Saratoga County, York State, in 1797, and when he was only four-years old his father died. At nine years of age, he moved with his mother and stepfather to Canada, settling near the Bay of Quinte.
Mr. Crandell married Catherine Moore in 1820, while living in Haldimand County, and their first child, Elmore, was born a year later. That same year, he set out with his young family and a team of oxen to blaze his way to the recently established Township of Reach.
He made his way Lake Scugog and settled on 200 acres of land he chose to farm near Manchester. Only seven months after their arrival, Catherine gave birth to Lucy Ann, the first white child to be born in the township. One year later, Benjamin became the first white male child born in the Crandell's crude log cabin.
Over the next 15 years, the ringing of Crandell's axe was a constant sound, as he cleared some 105 acres of his original purchase, before selling it to Alexander and Frederick Graham, of Scotland. In 1832, he purchased another 200 acres, at $1 per acre, north east of his original homestead.
Once again Crandell set to work clearing the land at his new location and built a home for his growing family. The original home, which was also used as a hotel, was destroyed by fire in 1843. He built another home, on the north side of Queen St., near the 6th concession, and there he lived with his family until his death.
The village which arose around the immediate settlement of Mr. Crandell's land, near the corner of Queen St. and Old Simcoe Road, for many years bore the name of Crandell's Corners, but around 1870 it was changed to Borelia.
Reuben Crandell, aged 77 years, died on October 8, 1874. He had 12 children in total, seven sons and five daughters, all of whom, with the exception of one daughter, survived him. His wife, Catherine, 71, pre-deceased him in August 1870.
A funeral was held for Reach Township's first white settler on Sunday, Oct. 11 with a large and highly respectable procession marching from the late residence of the deceased to the Church of Ascension, Port Perry.
REUBEN CRANDELL JR.
Reuben Crandell Jr. died in Port Perry on Saturday, Oct. 7, 1922, at 90 years of age. He was the last of seven sons of Reach Township's first white settler, Reuben Crandell, who had settled in the township in 1821.
The junior Crandell was clever at writing his experiences in verse and entertained his friends with his poems on many occasion. He was never involved in holding office.
At the time of his Reuben Jr.'s death, only two of his sisters were still living, Mrs. Stewart of Port Perry and Mrs. Buck of San Francisco.
As a mark of respect for the Reuben Crandell Jr., the town bell was tolled at the time of his funeral.
The Township of Scugog sustained a severe loss on April 21, 1937 when one of its foremost citizen, Wesley Crozier passed away in his 76th year.
Mr. Crozier was born Sept. 25, 1861, the son of Mr. and Mrs. George Crozier, and his early years were spent in the Township of Cartwright. In 1891 he moved with his family to Scugog where remained until his death.
Mr. Crozier entered into municipal affairs, filling most capably, the positions of councillor and Reeve. Subsequently he became the township's tax collector, an office he held for 30 years. He had always shown concern for the moral and social condition of the municipality he served, and many lives were enriched by his unselfish friendship.
In 1903 he married Emma Milner, who survives to mourn her late husband.
A large gathering assembled for his funeral at the family residence, to pay their last tribute of esteem to one who played a most important part in the welfare of the community in which he lived. Floral tributes from the Fidelity Lodge, A.F.&A.M., Port Perry of which the deceased was a member. He was laid to rest at Pine Grove Cemetery.
George Currie was born in Scarborough Township on Aug. 21, 1821, the sixth child of John and Hannah (Lockey) Currie, of Scotland. In 1844, as a young man of 23-years old, he moved to Prince Albert from Oshawa to open a grain buying business. At the same time, he and his brother Mark opened a general merchandising business consisting of dry goods, liquors, wines and children's wear in the same village.
Mr. Currie was married to Sarah Ann (Cronk) on Dec. 3, 1845, and they raised a family of six children: John, Catherine, Luther, Sarah, Hannah and George Jr. All children were born at Prince Albert, Ont. between 1846 and 1862.
Throughout the 1850s, the Curries became one of the principal grain purchasing businesses in the area, and it was during this time that George tried out his hand a politics. In 1857 he was elected Reeve of Reach Township. He later held the position of treasurer of the Township for a number of years, before moving to Port Perry.
The Currie brothers dissolved their partnership as general merchants in September 1861 with George continuing the business. During the 1860s, he formed another partnership with Aaron Ross becoming one of the largest grain companies in the county, as well as respected clothing, hardware and grocery merchants.
During the early 1870s, business began to trickle out of Prince Albert and George Currie, realizing that the tide of business was on the move, purchased a property on the north-east corner of Queen & Perry St. In 1872, he constructed an attractive two-storey brick building into which he moved his new business.
During the summer of 1873 he began construction of his most notable building, the large grain elevator located near the railway station at Port Perry's lakefront.
Mr. Currie tried his hand at provincial politics in July 1876, running as a candidate for North Ontario County, but losing his bid to W.H. Gibbs of Whitby.
George Currie sold his interests in Currie's Elevator to Aaron Ross towards the end of the 1870s, and retired from business. Sometime later, George and Sarah Currie moved to Montana with their youngest son George Jr., where they purchased and lived on a ranch until the death of Mrs. Currie on May 9, 1891. Mr. Currie returned to Toronto as some point to spend the remainder of his life at the home of his daughter and son-in-law.
The Currie's daughter, Sarah, was married to noted lawyer Norman F. Paterson, who had practiced in Port Perry for about 18 years, as well as held the position of village Clerk.
George Currie was 81 years of age when he passed away in Toronto, on Saturday, October 4, 1902, at the residence of Sarah and N.F. Paterson.
Mark Currie was born in the Township of Scarborough on Sept. 30, 1823, the son of John and Hannah Currie. The family left Scotland in 1818, settling in New York for about one year before moving northward to Canada. They settled in Toronto, then known as Little York, but after the death of his father in 1830, the family moved to Whitby.
Mark Currie entered into carriage building in Oshawa and operated a successful and respected enterprise for about ten years. He retired and moved to Prince Albert, where he entered into the mercantile business with his brother George. In September 1861, the brothers dissolved their partnership, with Mark taking the business into his own hands, and later becoming a partner with his son-in-law Mr. J.H. Brown.
When he was about 50 years old, Mr. Currie retired from business and moved to Port Perry, where he built a fine new residence in 1873. In Port Perry he became a active member of town council for a number of years, served on the Board of Education and became chief engineer of the Fire Brigade.
Mark Currie passed away in Port Perry on Feb. 23, 1882, at 58 years of age. He was a loving husband, affectionate father and a useful member of society. He left behind his wife Agnes (Dickie), son William and one daughter. He was interred at Pine Grove Cemetery.
WILLIAM MARK CURRIE
William M. Currie was born in November 1850, the son of one of Prince Albert's' early pioneers, Mark Currie.
W.M. Currie worked for the Dominion Bank as a young man, and in 1877 entered into business with the late J.H. Brown in the dry goods business, operating until 1883 when the partnership was dissolved.
His next venture was in connection with the local electric light plant which he owned and provided electric lights for the town. When he retired from business in 1910, he sold the powerhouse to the municipality.
One of the town's early settlers, he was actively identified with Port Perry for a great many years. Politically he was a staunch Liberal, and a Presbyterian by faith. He also served on town council
William Mark Currie passed away at the Port Perry Hospital on April 18, 1924 in his 74th year. His wife, Christina Victoria (McGill) predeceased him July 7, 1900. He was survived by his only son William Currie, of Hamilton. Interment at Pine Grove Cemetery.