top of page
Murder & Love
Young man robbed and drowned

The body of Joseph Graham, V.S. of Port Perry, who had been missing since April 16, 1888 was found floating in the Toronto Bay on the night of May 27th. Mr. Graham disappeared while travelling from his father's home to Battle Creek, Michigan to commence a veterinary practice.

About 7 a.m. Wednesday morning the body of a young man was found floating in the bay a short distance from the city wharves and opposite Union Station. He was hauled onto the dock by some workmen and the police were notified. His body was taken to the morgue. The face of the body of the deceased was terribly swollen indicating the remains were floating in the water for a long time. The body was fully clothed and in his pocket were a number of letters and addresses which identified the deceased as Joseph Graham, a recent student of Ontario Veterinary College.

Mr. Graham was reported to having last been seen in the company of a young man named A.J. Dunning. Both of the young men had been registered at the Revere House in Toronto, and were said to be drinking freely together.

On May 8, Mr. Graham's father, James, came looking for him in Toronto and told police he had left home with over $400 in his possession. When his wallet was returned there was only $60 left. At an inquest, no evidence could be given to exactly how Graham met with his death. Dunning, the last man seen with him said Graham had given him his wallet for safekeeping, and he had tried to return it to the hotel, but he never came back.

Although there was no evidence to connect him with the murder, the coroner told Dunning he had come nearer the gallows than he could ever come again, and escaped. He also warned him in future to avoid liquor and evil habits. Uxbridge Journal - May 28, 1888

A domestic dispute

For sometime there had been trouble between Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Sawyer. It culminated at noon on Monday, when Mrs. Sawyer went to the stable of the house she until recently occupied to get a spinning wheel, by which she earns a living.

As she was trying to get into the barn, her husband fired a shot from a twenty-two calibre revolver which lodged in her dress. A second shot had no effect, but a third hit her left foot above the big toe, and caused a severe wound. Mr. Sawyer was taken before Wm. Bateman, J.P., who sent him to Whitby jail to await his trial.

He says he did the shooting to scare his wife off his premises, not to kill her. Port Perry Aug. 29, 1895


Saturday's Toronto News gives a column and a half account of a lovescape in the city, in which a Port Perry girl named Henders and one Alex Thompson of Durham County were principals.

Miss Henders has been on exhibition at the Toronto Musee for some time, in a class of pretty girls. The patrons of the musee had a chance to vote on the beauty of the girls and Miss Henders placed fifth out of 12 girls who were on view.

Thompson is one of the class of fellows who gets struck on every girl that comes along and fell before the superior charm of Miss Henders although he is 40 years old and she 17. Thompson proposed marriage and she foolishly accepted, so they were ready to jump the broomstick (elope) one night last week.

The minister was engaged and all was making towards a union, when Miss Henders' father, William J. Henders, heard of the prospective escapade and went and captured his fresh young daughter. Port Perry, March 21, 1895.

The courting of Anna Paxton


Dr. George Jones arrived in Prince Albert in 1860 to open a medical practice. In 1868 GeorgeÕs brother Richard graduated from medical school and the brothers established a partnership in Port Perry.

Unfortunately George's marriage to Ann Martin had broken up in 1866. He hired lawyer Gordon Bigelow to pursue a petition for divorce. When this failed, Dr. George moved to Imlay City in Michigan where he obtained a divorce after one yearÕs residence.


Meanwhile he had been courting Anna Paxton of Port Perry. Early in January 1871, he returned to Port Perry to take Anna with him back to Michigan.

Anna's uncle, Edward Mundy was the owner of the Port Perry Standard. In the newspaper Mundy reported that Anna had been drugged and carried away to the train by Dr. Jones. Mundy slandered the entire Jones family in a series of articles in his newspaper over the next few weeks.

Friends of Dr. Jones used the pages of the rival newspaper, the Ontario Observer, to deny the allegations. A series of letters and articles appeared throughout early 1871.

Finally a letter signed by 200 supporters of Dr. Jones and a separate letter by Anna, brought the matter to a close by repudiating all Mundy's allegations. Dr George Jones and his new wife Anna raised a family and lived out their years in Imlay City where they became leading citizens in the community.

More dead than alive

On Sunday, Jan. 15, 1888, a party now unknown entered the residence of an old gentleman over 90 years of age, named Burk, at Caesarea, and after beating him in the most brutal manner, robbed him of over $300.

Leaving the old gentleman more dead than alive, he proceeded to steal a horse and buggy from Mr. Elliott, a magistrate in the village. The thief then drove the rig to Hampton where he left it and made off.

The services of Detective Burroughs, of Toronto was secured who traced the brute from Caesarea to Hampton, Port Perry, Prince Albert and Whitby.


Port Perry, Feb. 2, 1888

bottom of page