Everything Old is New Again
THE WOODMAN STEAMSHIP
The Woodman (above) was the first steamship to be built and launched on Lake Scugog. It made its maiden voyage on August 29, 1851 from Port Perry to Lindsay with dignitaries from Whitby, Oshawa and Toronto on board. It's prime purpose was to haul logs and lumber from Lindsay to Port Perry for shippment to markets to the south.
The new Woodman was launched during the summer of 2003. Unlike her counterpart, the Woodman II, was developed to attract the tourist trade. It began tours on Lake Scugog in August 2003.
TOWN HALL 1873
Port Perry's Town Hall was constructed at the corner of Queen and Lilla St. (Simcoe) during 1873 and has served the community for more than 130 years and it continues to be the communities most imposing historical structure.
A plan is now underway to refurbish and enlarge the aging old hall. Fundraising has been underway for a number of years and work is scheduled to begin in the spring of 2004. Below are sketches of the buildig with the proposed changes.
NEW MUNICIPAL OFFICE
The central tower of Port Perry's old Union School built in 1873 and destroyed by fire in 1926 will be featured on the new Scugog Township municipal office in construction during the summer of 2003.
Below, the municipal office in early 2004, with the tower, which has been replicated to take on the look of the old Union School tower of more than a century ago. The new muncipal office was opened in January 2004.